none
emulator only works sometimes

Question

• I have Visual Studio community 2015, and only installed a few weeks ago, so the most recent version. Running on Windows 10 Pro. Yesterday I tried the default Xamarin forms app ("Welcome to Xamarin Forms!"). Took me a few tries to find an emulator that worked - even then it was horribly slow to start-up, but that may be just par for the course?

Anyway, I did get it to run eventually. The next time I tried it, it didn't work, as in the emulator failed to start-up - just a black screen (rather than showing the home screen). Tried starting another project, and same thing - just a black screen on the emulator in start-up. i.e. failing to fully start.

So, today I ran a "repair" on both VS and the emulator - (2.5 hours later) when I started it up all was working fine again. Without closing the emulator I closed that project and ran another one (the aforementioned second copy of the same project) - also worked. With trepidation I closed the emulator, and yep, next time around not working again - not getting past a black screen on start-up - sometimes the "android" screen comes up, but goes black again and stays that way. Repaired VS and the emulator again, and again was working.

Obviously I can't go repairing VS and the emulator every time I want to re-use them (at 2.5 hours each time), so does anyone have any idea why it's working fine after repair, but then not working any subsequent time after that? It would appear something is getting corrupted somewhere. Given how slow the emulator is, I am also wondering about resources? (I have 8Gb of RAM, with 2GB dedicated to a RAMdisk), though the fact that it works fine after repair leads me to think it's more likely corruption of something.

I'm just closing the emulator, and VS, by clicking on the "x" in the top-right. Is there some cleaner way I should be doing it perhaps? (just looking for SOMETHING that is the reason that it doesn't work again the next time I try to use it). Was going to attach some pics of working and not working, but not letting me as first time posting - great. :-(

Thursday, September 01, 2016 10:52 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply, but I have found the answer myself today. :-) When I was researching how much RAM was recommended, I saw it mentioned that you should have Internet Explorer 10 or later installed - I never configured mine, as I already had Edge (ended up deciding I didn't like it) and Chrome - they're not kidding! Once I configured IE 11, everything is running smoothly now. :-) Well, I still have some emulators that don't work, but the ones that do work are working well now (not the hit and miss affair I had before). Don't know why they couldn't have made this more obvious (like mention it during the installation process, or even have a system-check for it in there). rant: what's the world coming to that you need 3 browsers on your machine these days??

So, having posted a couple of times now, maybe next time I'll be allowed to post pictures (but hopefully no next time of course)...  :-)

Thanks

• Marked as answer by donaldnp Friday, September 02, 2016 4:22 AM
    • Edited by donaldnp Friday, September 02, 2016 4:23 AM
    Friday, September 02, 2016 4:22 AM

All replies

• Hi domaldnp,

According to your description, you open the emulator through running your Xamarin project. Please check whether there has any error messages in Output window when the emulator doesn't start.

If there doesn't have enough error message, please check the Windows Event Viewer, whether there has any log information about XDE.exe.

And please try launch the emulator through Tools -> Visual Studio Emulator for Android. It will open the list all the emulators. Please click the Launch button to open the emulator without deploy Xamarin project. It can help us confirm whether this issue caused by the project deployment or the Emulator itself.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 02, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, but I have found the answer myself today. :-) When I was researching how much RAM was recommended, I saw it mentioned that you should have Internet Explorer 10 or later installed - I never configured mine, as I already had Edge (ended up deciding I didn't like it) and Chrome - they're not kidding! Once I configured IE 11, everything is running smoothly now. :-) Well, I still have some emulators that don't work, but the ones that do work are working well now (not the hit and miss affair I had before). Don't know why they couldn't have made this more obvious (like mention it during the installation process, or even have a system-check for it in there). rant: what's the world coming to that you need 3 browsers on your machine these days??

So, having posted a couple of times now, maybe next time I'll be allowed to post pictures (but hopefully no next time of course)...  :-)

Thanks

• Marked as answer by donaldnp Friday, September 02, 2016 4:22 AM
    • Edited by donaldnp Friday, September 02, 2016 4:23 AM
    Friday, September 02, 2016 4:22 AM