Adding Web Reference In Visual Studio2005 & 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am using same WCF for my multiple applications.

I added this as a "Web Reference" in my 2 projects of VS2010. And I can access these using the "NameSpace.ServiceName.UserServiceClient" and it is working fine. I declare its object and call a method "Calculate" which return bool.

But I need to use the same reference in VS2005 as well. Here I only have the option to add "web reference" not "service reference" and when I add web reference then i dont see the "UserServiceClient". What should I do for this??

Also in VS2005, after adding this wcf as a Web Reference, I access it like this "NameSpace.WebService.UserService", then creates its object and calls the same method "Calculate". But this time the method "Calculate" returns "void"

Any help? what is the alternate of UserServiceClient in VS2005? 

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Shah

Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Shabber,

Microsoft never released a final WCF add-in for VS2005. If you want visual studio 2005 integration WCF service. You have to have at least .net 3.0 installed. The client can then use svcutil.exe to generate the proxy. See the detail steps from below link.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa751905%28v=vs.90%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by DotNet Wang Monday, March 7, 2016 2:24 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Shabber,

Microsoft never released a final WCF add-in for VS2005. If you want visual studio 2005 integration WCF service. You have to have at least .net 3.0 installed. The client can then use svcutil.exe to generate the proxy. See the detail steps from below link.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa751905%28v=vs.90%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by DotNet Wang Monday, March 7, 2016 2:24 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Thanks Li Wang,

But the thing is - I am been able to register this as a web reference. And the method i am using that is returning void instead of bool-

Why is it so?

Any information on this ? 

Also Visual Studio 2010 is also installed on the same machine and wcf is workign fine in that project. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Shabber 

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Hi Shabber,

>>I  am been able to register this as a web reference.

Web reference could not work for WCF service. Please take my suggestion of using svcutil.exe in my first reply.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Alright Li Wang,

I try this, Thanks

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:03 AM
  • Can I have any example of it ? Thanks
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:13 AM