Azure Domain Services and Secure LDAP RRS feed

• Question

• Is it a requirement to have a wildcard certificate to set up ldap security for an Azure Domain Service?

When I used a self signed certificate I used my domain with a wildcard, and it worked.  But when using a certificate signed by a valid CA, I tried to used a standard ssl certificate because it is much cheaper.  I couldn't set the subject name with the wild card. Is there a way to set up you ldap security with another type of certificate that could be cheaper than a wildcard ssl Certificate?

The error I get when trying to upload my ssl certificate is:
    Failed to validate the provided secure LDAP certificate. Confirm that the certificate is valid and the password specified is correct.

• Edited by Renatoly Friday, December 22, 2017 3:00 PM
    Friday, December 22, 2017 2:59 PM

Answers

• Is it a requirement to have a wildcard certificate to set up ldap security for an Azure Domain Service? Is there a way to set up you ldap security with another type of certificate that could be cheaper than a wildcard ssl Certificate?

No, Wild Card certificates requirement is by design right now. The certificates are needed to be able to act as an SSL Certificate to any domain controller created. You may provide your feedback in the Azure Feedback Portal for a feature request.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Saturday, December 23, 2017 8:25 AM

All replies

• Have you had a chance to review the following Azure Doc: 

Configure secure LDAP (LDAPS) for an Azure AD Domain Services managed domain

Not sure if that doc will fully answer your questions but figured it was worth a share. If you need more information I can try to reach out to the content owners of this doc as well. They might be able to shed some more light on the subject. 

Saturday, December 23, 2017 12:59 AM
  • Is it a requirement to have a wildcard certificate to set up ldap security for an Azure Domain Service? Is there a way to set up you ldap security with another type of certificate that could be cheaper than a wildcard ssl Certificate?

No, Wild Card certificates requirement is by design right now. The certificates are needed to be able to act as an SSL Certificate to any domain controller created. You may provide your feedback in the Azure Feedback Portal for a feature request.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Saturday, December 23, 2017 8:25 AM