Small question about ms sql server 2008 express edition RRS feed

• Question

• User-959049724 posted

Hi guys!

I got stuck at the last step before installing management studio express

I Know that this command will help me to get over the last failure-Checking previous versiobs of vs 2008 

Setup /ACTION=install /SkipRules=VSShellInstalledRule 

But what is the specific syntax to use in the command prompt  ?

I need to go to the sql server 2008 directory and use the command above - I don't know

how to use the command prompt for sure..

Please help..

Thanx..

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:31 PM

All replies

• User2130758966 posted

well you will need to extract the initial installer file which would have been a single file you downloaded probably?

one way to do this is to just run it. it will extract it to a randomly named folder in the root of your main drive. The files will only be there while the setup is running so copy them out to a new location and then close the installer.

you can open a cmd window by following a part of this tutorial depending on if you have vista/7 or other windows:

BUT

This isnt a good idea because you might cause yourself problems in the future. Goto control panel and remove or upgrade any conflicting software!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:50 PM
  • User-959049724 posted

from what i've googled i got the impression that all that separates me from completing this installation of sql server 2008 management studio is the command Setup /ACTION=install /SkipRules=VSShellInstalledRule which i need to type somewhere in the command line of windows xp. i need the exact procedure to accomplish that.

10q.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 5:26 PM
  • User-959049724 posted

well i've managed to execute the  aforementioned  commmand only to get the error msg "please go to the control panel to install and configure system components"

i googled that and understood that sometimes it involves a certain "autorun.inf" which isn't the case for me.

any assistance would be much appreciated.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:02 PM