none
Error Installing SQL 2014 (Database Engine) on Server 2016

Question

• Am getting very frustrated with repeatedly failed attempts at installing SQL 2014 (Enterprise) on Server 2016 (datacentre).

Each time, specifying just Database Engine & Management tools.

The install progress gets to "SqlEngineDBStartConfigAction_install_configrc_CPU64".

And then throws up a message box:

Microsoft SQL Server 2015 Setup
    The following error has occurred:
    A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error:0 - No Process is on the other end of the pipe.)
    Click 'Retry' to retry the failed action, or click 'Cancel' to cancel this action and continue setup.

Cancel brings up a bit more info, including this error code: 0x84BB0001

retry fails. Also on a couple of occasions, have opened SQL Configuration (which is available by then) to enable Named Pipes on the one component its not enabled for... no luck there.  Also tried install under domain account which has full administrator rights on server, and also the local "Administrator" account. 

Found a couple of suggestions regarding Switchback (reg key  in appcompat for sbenable)  does not work.

I'm stumped, and on the verge of trashing the 2016 server in favour of 2012 R2, I can't use SQL 2016, as the application I need it for doesn't support it. (MBAM 2.5 sp1)

Thanks in advance

Matthew.

Monday, February 27, 2017 3:27 PM

Answers

• Have fixed it now.

Downloaded Enterprise 2014 with SP2 install files, and its gone on without issue.

• Marked as answer by mpw1 Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:55 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi mpw1,

The error message 'A connection was successfully established with the server, but…' always occurs when trying to login. It is a little strange to meet it during installation. Finding the latest full error message from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log and sharing across Onedrive with putting share link here is required for further analysis.

Have you ever installed SQL Server on this machine before? This problem looks like been caused by the failover of a pervious installation. You can try to uninstall the previous installation manually. Besides, please check the installation media of SQL Server, many times, this problem can be caused by the broken of installation media.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:10 AM
  • Hi Teige,

Thanks for your response.

I've uploaded a copy of the logs folder to my Onedrive account...
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap2GGPF2euDkklIY7BGzH7X2s6g4

I've had a few SQL install attempts on that server, but all have failed in same manner. Before the last attempt I did uninstall any components I could find for SQL off the Uninstall Programs list.
    Whilst you are looking at the above, I will re-download the 2014 install media from Microsoft Volume Licensing and try again.

I did also wonder if the issue was antivirus software, or windows firewall, but the latter is turned off, and for one of my previous attempts I completely disabled the McAfee endpoint Security 10.5 Firewall & Threat protection modules.

Thanks in advance for any further information.

Regards

Matthew.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:12 PM
  • Have fixed it now.

Downloaded Enterprise 2014 with SP2 install files, and its gone on without issue.

• Marked as answer by mpw1 Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:55 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:55 PM