none
2007 Office System Driver Equivalent In Server Environment RRS feed

• Question

• I have an ASP.NET application written to query an Excel 2007 format file. To accomplish this I use the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider. The problem is when I go to download the 2007 Office System Driver to install on the server it clearly states that this driver is not intended to be used in a server environment. What is the reason for this? Is it a licensing issue or simply a stability issue?

Either way what is another option outside of a third party provider or API? I did install SQL Server Express thinking there would be an Excel 2007 provider but of course it uses the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider.

Thanks in advance,

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:04 PM

Answers

• It isn't a licensing issue but its predecessor, Jet, was used successfully in a server environment for years. I don't believe that ACE is any less capable so I'm not sure what the rationale is for that statement.

There are limitations with respect to the databases that are supported by Jet/ACE, specifically multiple concurrent user access. For example, if you're using database access to open Excel files from an ASP.NET app, it's likely to fail when multiple users attempt to open the file at the same time. Excel has no provision for handling multiple concurrent users via database access. Excel Services is the Microsoft technology that has been implemented for sharing Excel data (such as for SharePoint).

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by JTurco Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:46 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:01 PM

All replies

• It isn't a licensing issue but its predecessor, Jet, was used successfully in a server environment for years. I don't believe that ACE is any less capable so I'm not sure what the rationale is for that statement.

There are limitations with respect to the databases that are supported by Jet/ACE, specifically multiple concurrent user access. For example, if you're using database access to open Excel files from an ASP.NET app, it's likely to fail when multiple users attempt to open the file at the same time. Excel has no provision for handling multiple concurrent users via database access. Excel Services is the Microsoft technology that has been implemented for sharing Excel data (such as for SharePoint).

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by JTurco Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:46 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Excellent Paul thank you. Concurrent connections were not a requirement for this page. Using the ACE OLE provider reduced the complexity of the page compared to using the Excel API or the painstaking XML traversing of an Excel 2007 file package. 
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:53 PM