none
VBA to Control Viso from Access RRS feed

• Question

• Rather than dragging a set of shapes onto a drawing page from the master shapes in a stencil and then using the Visio database wizard to individually link each shape to an external data source (Access, Excel, etc.), is there a way to generate the shapes onto the drawing page directly from the external data source? 

The situation involves a set of building materials that I have already created a stencil for, with master shapes that represent things like roofing sheets, gutters, posts, etc. I can drag a master roofing sheet onto the page and change its length and width within bounds (that I have set in the Master Shape Sheet), and I can choose a specific colour for this sheet from a fixed selection list of colours (drop-down) in the shape data.

I COULD place all the components onto the drawing page, one by one, then adjust the sizes and colours to what I need for THIS drawing and then export them via the reporting function to XL, or link them via the database wizard to an external data source. But this would have to be done one component at a time and is very time consuming and prone to operator error. 

Now, the actual building components to be used are initially created in an Access database, complete with the specific lengths and widths (within the same Visio Master Shape bounds) and colour.

My question is, can I use MS Access to tell Visio to take each Visio Shape master that I need, in turn, and place a shape onto the page (doesn't matter where, I can move them later) based on that Master Shape definition and the data in Access for that record? I envisage this to be a one step action; like run an Access query or VBA Recordset that, in one operation, places all the shapes on the Visio page. An example of one of the items could be a master roof sheet that is 9 metres X 800 mm with no colour selected, but the roof sheet required by the Access database for this structure is 3 metres X 750 mm with a specific colour (red). That should be the shape that appears on the page.

As a final step it would be nice if the Visio Data could be synchronised back to the Access database so that if the operator decided change the length of the roof sheet on the Visio drawing, for instance, from 3 metres, to 4, this would also update the Access database record.
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:10 AM

All replies

• Yes, it is impossible - drop shapes !

I not familiar with MS Access, usually i have Excel workbook where stored masternames and sets of parameters.

Can you share simple Access DB with your datas?

You can find Visio BackSync add-in

http://unmanagedvisio.com/products/visio-back-sync/

Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:44 PM
  • Many thanks, Surrogate. I'll check that out later today - sounds good.  
    Friday, February 16, 2018 1:37 AM
  • Friday, February 16, 2018 6:12 AM
  • Hello CustomMadeDB,

Has your original issue been resolved? If it has, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer or provide your solution and mark as answer to close this thread. If not, please feel free to let us know your current issue.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 23, 2018 7:21 AM