• Hi

Consider the code:

#include <vector>

int main()
      {
      std::vector<int> v = { 10, 11, 12 };
      return 0;
      }

With a <break> at the return it should be possible to investigate the contents of v using the debug tool tips. It works in VS2013 but not in VS2015. I've tried with the Update 2 without success.

Anyone have ideas. Thanks

gww

Saturday, March 26, 2016 5:35 PM

Answers

• Thanks for help. It's fixed!

The fact that it worked for Hart suggested there is a problem with my system, but my system information is exactly the same, so I went looking through the debugging options again.

Turning off "Show raw structure of objects in variables windows" fixed it.

My original problem was with C++/clr and it's fixed there also but "Use Managed Compatibility Mode" must be off too.

Best regards

gww

• Marked as answer by gwwinn Monday, March 28, 2016 1:42 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 10:49 AM

All replies

• With a <break> at the return it should be possible to investigate the contents of v using the debug tool tips. It works in VS2013 but not in VS2015. I've tried with the Update 2 without success.

Are you setting the breakpoint at the return statement or at the closing brace?

In VC++2015 Update 1 a breakpoint at the return statement allows the display of vector elements by hovering the cursor over the vector.  However, a breakpoint at the closing brace after the return statment has executed will yield nothing since the vector's destructor has already executed.

Saturday, March 26, 2016 6:18 PM
  • Are you debugging in 'Debug->Options->Debugging->General->Use Native Compatibility Mode'?

With kind regards

Saturday, March 26, 2016 7:13 PM

• Hi,

I cannot reproduce your issue. I have tested a simple C++ project with your code in VS 2015 update 2. My operating system is win10. I can inspect the element of the vector when debugging code.<o:p></o:p>

The attachment is my system information screenshot.<o:p></o:p>

Best Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Hart<o:p></o:p>

Monday, March 28, 2016 8:40 AM

The fact that it worked for Hart suggested there is a problem with my system, but my system information is exactly the same, so I went looking through the debugging options again.

My original problem was with C++/clr and it's fixed there also but "Use Managed Compatibility Mode" must be off too.

Best regards

gww

• Marked as answer by gwwinn Monday, March 28, 2016 1:42 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 10:49 AM

Best regards

gww

You need to Mark Hart Suggestion as answer not yours.

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Monday, March 28, 2016 2:46 PM