linux connect sql server RRS feed

• Question

• In out product, we need to connect to a SQL Server from a Linux box. But that SQL Server is configured to authenticate by windows only. If it is authenticated by SQL Server with Login ID/Password, I think JDBC driver for SQL Server can do this job. Now for our situation, can JDBC also handle it? And how? Is there any C/C++ ODBC API for Linux that can also do this work? Thanks a lot! 

Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

JDBC driver implementions of Windows integrated auth for use against SQL Server come in two flavors:

a) SSPI -- where the JDBC driver makes JNI calls to the Windows auth APIs, but this implementation *only* works on Windows clients;

b) pure Kerberos -- where the JDBC driver uses JAAS in a carefully configured network environment;  here the driver can sit on a Linux box, but I've only seen this work in local network configurations that have a Windows AD and usually some third-party software to make up for the weaknesses in JAAS.  See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/cits/interopmigration/unix/usecdirw/00wsdsu.mspx for more details.

Microsoft doesn't ship a driver with the b) type of integrated auth yet, and as far as I know, only Data Direct makes a driver like this.

I don't know of any ODBC driver that does integrated auth from Linux directly but I've heard of solutions that use Kerberos through the GSS libraries in a configuration like b) above.

Iric Wen

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Papy Normand Sunday, November 11, 2012 10:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Iric Wen Monday, November 19, 2012 9:38 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:06 AM