none
Unknown USB 3.0 port detected (Intel NUC NUC5i5RYK) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I recently purchased an Intel NUC (Model: NUC5i5RYK) and installed windows 10 on it. However, when I connect Kinect v2, the configuration verifier told me that it is an unknown USB 3.0 port. I could not run examples in SDK Browser. No response after clicking the run button.

I think the USB controller should be Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

The first image is the status of USB controllers before plugin the Kinect

Before plugin the Kinect<sub></sub><sup></sup><strike></strike>

When I plugin, I got the following notice

Notice

After that the status of the controllers was changed to

After plugin the Kinect

I got two problems in verifier

problems

I used to have the other NUC with model D54250WYKH. It worked fine with Kinect v2.

Does that mean I cannot use this NUC to run Kinect v2? Is that any way to deal with that? The NUC really cost a lot.

Thank you

• Edited by Saiyi Sunday, August 16, 2015 8:53 AM To clarify the problem
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 6:45 AM

Answers

• Hmmm, the "Verify Depth and Color Streams" of the Configuration Verifier run at 30fps here on my D54250WYK NUC on Windows 10. Previously I ran WIn8.1 on that same machine without problems.

Maybe your Intel GPU drivers are somehow out of date and you should download the latest from the Intel site?

I know for sure I haven't downloaded separate GPU drivers on Win10.

Don't recall doing that on Win8.1 either but that has been quite a while ago.

Brekel

Sunday, August 16, 2015 12:53 PM

All replies

• Kinect v2 demands multiple core: that NUC has two, so that checks out
    • Kinect v2 demands support for DX12 and Shader 5: that NUC has Intel HD 6000, which supports that so that checks out too
    • Kinect v2 is quite demanding on the bandwidth it can push through USB 3.0: that NUC has four ports, so the bandwidth might be split up.

I wonder if a USB 3.0 port that is charging capable has more bandwidth. Try to connect Kinect to that one, according to Intel one in the front has it.

The USB Controller warning is not really an issue. I have a PCIe USB card with ASMedia chipset that is supposedly unsupported, but works. Never had it stuck on "Waiting for frames from Kinect" though.

Also you should try and see if you can update the USB driver either having Windows install it or grab the one from its manufacturer.

• Edited by Yanis Lukes Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:32 AM lacking info
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 9:46 AM
  • There is a yellow USB port (always on port). I tried to connect Kinect to this port, but nothing happened. I ran example code in visual studio 2015, but got an error said that Microsoft.Kinect.dll cannot be found. 

Two of four USB ports are in the front and two in the back. I connected the Kinect in the front and connected a mouse and keyboard in the back. Not sure if this is the problem of the operating system. I will try to change the operating to windows 8.1 and have a try.

Sunday, August 16, 2015 10:44 AM
  • Finally, after installing windows 8.1, Kinect is working, although the same problem is shown in verifier. However, the frame rate is only 10. Luckily, i don't need to ship it and  get it refunded. However, how to improve the frame rate?
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 12:43 PM
  • Hmmm, the "Verify Depth and Color Streams" of the Configuration Verifier run at 30fps here on my D54250WYK NUC on Windows 10. Previously I ran WIn8.1 on that same machine without problems.

Maybe your Intel GPU drivers are somehow out of date and you should download the latest from the Intel site?

I know for sure I haven't downloaded separate GPU drivers on Win10.

Don't recall doing that on Win8.1 either but that has been quite a while ago.

Brekel

Sunday, August 16, 2015 12:53 PM
  • Hi Brekel. Thank you for your response. I updated the graphic card driver and now the Kinect is working with 30 FPS, although the unknown usb 3.0 port issue still exists. NUC5I5RYK may not work with Windows 10, but it works with Windows 8.1.

Cheers

Sunday, August 16, 2015 12:57 PM
  • Yes, the unknown bandwidth for the USB3 port also happens for me (actually on all machines I've tested), but that's nothing to worry about as it's only a warning and not critical.

BTW I've seen Win10 work perfectly fine on a NUC5I5RYK (same model as yours but taller case to house an extra harddrive).

Brekel

Sunday, August 16, 2015 2:02 PM
  • I've got almost exactly the same issue as this but on a different device (a Gigabyte Brix BXPi3-4010). I see the same features in Device Manager as OP but with a slightly newer host controller as shown below:

As per the OP, I see the following in the Kinect v2 Configuration Verifier:

And again, I've seen this device work with the Kinect V2 when running under Win8.1 but I need to run Win10 as I am writing UWP apps.

Any suggestions warmly welcomed :0/

Saturday, November 19, 2016 12:01 PM
  • Maybe you can go into BIOS to make sure usb3.0 pattern is ''Enable''
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:28 PM