none
Installing .Net framework (4.6.1) ask for restart RRS feed

• Question

• I have .Net framework as a pre-requisite for my installer and I am using the option "/passive /norestart", while installing .Net framework. Still it expects restart. Is there a way to fix this?

Command used

NDP461-KB3102436-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

Senthil Kumar M

Monday, August 8, 2016 5:18 AM

All replies

• Hi  Senthil,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

How did you create your installer? Like use ClickOnce , InstallShield, or WiX to deploy your application…

Please have a look at this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee942965(v=vs.110).aspx and you can try the following:

1. Change the command to: NDP461-KB3102436-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /q /norestart

2. To provide a way for users to close running .NET Framework apps to minimize system restarts, set passive mode and use the /showrmui option as follows:

NDP461-KB3102436-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /norestart /passive /showrmui /ChainingPackage Contoso

3. Change the .NET Framework installer

NDP461-KB3102438-Web.exe /passive /norestart

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:44 AM
  • Hi Sara,

I think you didnt get my question. I would like to use the .net 4.6.1 Offline installer and I dont want to restart the system after .Net framework installation. I thought /norestart can be used for this. 

We have a batch script to install .Net framework, you can see the script below

if exist ..\Binaries\ThirdParty\MSDotNetFramework\NDP461-KB3102436-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe (
            call echo.cmd Installing .NET Framework 4.6.1...
            ..\Binaries\ThirdParty\MSDotNetFramework\NDP461-KB3102436-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /passive /norestart
            REM https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee390831(v=vs.110).aspx
        )

if "!errorlevel!" equ "1641" (
            REM Signal restart to parent script
            exit /b 3010
        )
        if "!errorlevel!" equ "3010" (
            REM signal restart to parent script
            exit /b 3010
        )

Now the calling batch file will get the error code as 3010, which means requires restart. If I don't restart and continue with my other activities like installing NT services and creating SQLExpress database and later start WPF application, will there be any problem?

Senthil Kumar M

Friday, August 12, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi Senthil,

Thank you for your update and I'm sorry for my mistake.

Could you please directly install the .NET Framework 4.6.1 with the parameter '/passive /norestart' in the elevated command prompt? If it not ask you to restart the computer, this issue may be related to your installer setting. if it still ask for a restart, which means the restart is required, some necessary files are using by other programs and we need to restart the computer.

BTW, how did you created your installer, like use the ClickOnce, WIX, Installshield... 

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 15, 2016 7:52 AM
  • As I said we use batch script for installing the software. Batch script will install .Net framework and extract our binaries.

Senthil Kumar M

Monday, August 15, 2016 12:37 PM
  • Hi Senthil,

I know your final purpose and I need your help to have a test to check if the restart is essential or it is related to the customer installer, it will help us to further troubleshoot this issue, thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, could you please share us how did you customized the installer, like ClickOnce, WIX, Installshield... 

Best regards,

Sara

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:13 AM