Generating new certificate request file with certificate already installed RRS feed

• Question

• User255304286 posted

I'm trying to generate a new certificate request file in IIS7. I'm following the instructions in this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228821/EN-US/

but a certificate is already installed in this server, so I don't get the "Create a new certificate" option. I want to make sure I don't uninstall the current certificate, I just want to generate a new certificate request file.

Which option should I select ?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:18 AM

Answers

• User797879709 posted

These instructions are for IIS 5.1 and for generating a new certificate request.  If you are using the IIS 7.0 UI there should be an option to "Renew"  if you've selected a non-self signed certificate. 

If you use renew then you can generated a certificate renewal request.

A couple of quick questions:

1. Has the certificate expired?

2. Do you have the private key for the certificate?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 11:27 AM
  • User744767459 posted

Hi,

In IIS7.0,even you have installed one or more than one certificate on your web server you also can do the action "Create Certificate Request…"(IIS Manager->your machine->Server certificates) to generate a request file .

If you host website on IIS 6.0, you can choose the option "Renew the current certificate" to generate a request file. After the file is generated, you can delete the pending request .This  would not affect the certificate you have installed.

With IIS 6.0, another option is creating a new website temporarily for you to generate the request file.

Monday, January 26, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

• User797879709 posted

These instructions are for IIS 5.1 and for generating a new certificate request.  If you are using the IIS 7.0 UI there should be an option to "Renew"  if you've selected a non-self signed certificate. 

If you use renew then you can generated a certificate renewal request.

A couple of quick questions:

1. Has the certificate expired?

2. Do you have the private key for the certificate?

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:27 AM
  • User744767459 posted

Hi,

In IIS7.0,even you have installed one or more than one certificate on your web server you also can do the action "Create Certificate Request…"(IIS Manager->your machine->Server certificates) to generate a request file .

If you host website on IIS 6.0, you can choose the option "Renew the current certificate" to generate a request file. After the file is generated, you can delete the pending request .This  would not affect the certificate you have installed.

With IIS 6.0, another option is creating a new website temporarily for you to generate the request file.

Monday, January 26, 2009 10:42 PM