none
Windows 10 freezes with Visual Studio 2012, 2013

Question

32 GB memory

I have installed 3 times and every time it will lock Windows 10. Do not have to be in Visual Studio!

I keep system cloned with Acronis 2016 and rollback to previous state. The only difference between states is that Visual studio was intstalled. Just default settings and extensions. No source code provider specified yet. Very simple install

I completely re-installed OS and started again, same result. Remove Visual Studio, does not lock randomly

Nothing in event log, no on-screen error messages

greg

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hi greg,

Just to make this issue clearly, when did the windows Freezing in your side, installing the VS or open the VS IDE?

Before you install the VS, please make sure that your System configurations really meet the requirement of the VS IDE.

In addition, not install the different VS versions in the same machine, just install one version, check the result.

Please check the SHA-1 Values of the ISO file, we have to make sure that it is not the setup file issue.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2013-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

Please also install the update 5 for your VS2013 and VS2012.

If you install the same setup file in other Windows 10 machine, how about the result? If it works well in other machine, at least we could know that it is not the setup file issue, maybe it is the windows issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:51 PM
  • Hi greg,

Any Update?

Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

Thanks,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 5:25 AM
  • I installed VS 2012 on another Windows 10 professional machine, actually a 6 year old Dell 1747 laptop

I have no locking on this machine as of yet

greg

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:14 AM
  • Hi greg,

>>I installed VS 2012 on another Windows 10 professional machine, actually a 6 year old Dell 1747 laptop. I have no locking on this machine as of yet

So you mean that you use another machine instead of your previous one, am I right?

If the same setup file works well in another machine, at least, we could know that it is not the setup file issue. Maybe it is the installation issue.

Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, February 29, 2016 2:03 AM