none
Imports Microsoft.Office.Interops.Excel and Drawing error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I have an app I have worked on for awhile in which I hadn't even noticed that I hadn't added this Import. BUT, in Win7 it was not error causing. But, in Win10 I believe it is. I get an Hresult 0X800A03AC error which is COM related.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800A03EC): Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

I found this post which makes sense,  but when I added it some of my code now wants to compete.  This advise was to add the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel reference.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/df02c6d2-e1b5-4731-bb04-2674aed789de/faq-how-do-i-use-excel-automation-in-vbnet?forum=vbgeneralttps

With it in my imports list, I can't use New Point() to draw a location on some of my form.  I also had not been declaring the import of system drawing and getting results, but removed it and then added it again.  When I did this it required me to declare it.

What am I missing?  Is there a different way to do the drawing?  I tried writing a function with paintargs and if I wrote it right still didn't work.

Thanks.

• Moved by Reed KimbleMVP Monday, June 6, 2016 10:08 PM excel specific/likely not VB related
    Monday, June 6, 2016 7:15 AM

Answers

• Fellas,

The problem was easily fixed.  Excel does not install all the VBA components unless asked.  I had to install the VBA component and it works correctly.  Thanks for helping.
    • Edited by -tE Monday, July 11, 2016 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by -tE Monday, July 11, 2016 2:21 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 2:20 AM

All replies

• With it in my imports list, I can't use New Point() to draw a location on some of my form.  I also had not been declaring the import of system drawing and getting results, but removed it and then added it again.  When I did this it required me to declare it.

"Imports" only affects how you need to qualify the methods that you use.  If the namespace is imported then you do not need to use that namespace name when you reference the method or property - the IDE will find the method in the namespace you imported.   If you don't import the namespace you will need to use the namespace name when you reference the methods.

If you imported another namespace and got some errors, that will be because there were some conflicts in the method or property names, and you needed to disambiguate those references.

Not importing a namespace will not affect your code - it only affects whether or not you need to use the namespace name when you use the methods or properties.

Adding/Removing a reference, on the other hand, will affect the methods that your code uses.

Monday, June 6, 2016 9:12 AM
  • This makes sense,  but it didn't really refer to what I need.  Why am I getting the error that I listed?  It was said to Import the Interop namespace in that post so I thought I might try it. I have already been declaring my variable as an Microsoft.Office.Interop.Exel.Application and that was fine. 

Could there be a permissions in Win 10?  Everything works great in Win 7.

Monday, June 6, 2016 5:38 PM
  • Let's back up.  How did you initially access Excel before you read that old thread?  I don't think that link is relevant to you; it uses an old way of automating Excel.

Please tell us what version of Visual Studio you are using and describe (or show with a small code snippet) how you automate the Excel instance.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Monday, June 6, 2016 5:48 PM
  •  Dim xlApp As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application
                    Dim xlWorkBook As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook
                    Dim xlWorkSheet As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet

Dim CopyOfFile as String = Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Hour(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Minute(Now)

Dim FullName As String = Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & CopyOfFile & " Assigns.xlsm"

Dim misValue As Object = System.Reflection.Missing.Value

xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
                    xlApp.Visible = False
                    Dim WB1 = xlApp.Workbooks.Open(Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & CopyOfFile & " Assigns.xlsm")

xlWorkSheet = xlApp.Worksheets("PIECE 1")

This app I have left in VB 2010 express.  I have VS 2012 Express also and some apps I have moved to it,  but had trouble getting my database in this app updated so left it.  It debugs in 2012 fine and this issue does not occur in 2012 debug either.  My app does everything but this particular function in Win10.  I am install SQL 3.5 though.  It is not running on a newer connection.  But like I said everything else is fine.

This is the error message

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800A03EC): Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC
       at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbooks.Open(String Filename, Object UpdateLinks, Object ReadOnly, Object Format, Object Password, Object WriteResPassword, Object IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended, Object Origin, Object Delimiter, Object Editable, Object Notify, Object Converter, Object AddToMru, Object Local, Object CorruptLoad)

My app is a resource file which is an xlsm file.  It creates the file or copies it to my folder if it is not there.  It IS doing this but says that the VB Macros are corrupted.  Is the error occurring there?  Here is that code.

If Directory.Exists(Folder) Then
                        If File.Exists(Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & " Assigns.xlsm") Then

System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Hour(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Minute(Now) & " Assigns.xlsm", My.Resources.Assigns1)

CopyOfFile = Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Hour(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Minute(Now)

MessageBox.Show()
                            MessageBox.RichTextBox1.Text = "FILE EXISTED.  NEW FILE CREATED WITH " & Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Hour(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Minute(Now) & " ADDED TO NAME."

Else
                            Try
                                If File.Exists(Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & " Assigns.xlsm") Then

System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Hour(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Minute(Now) & " Assigns.xlsm", My.Resources.Assigns1)

CopyOfFile = Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Hour(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Minute(Now)

MessageBox.Show()
                                    MessageBox.RichTextBox1.Text = "FILE EXISTED.  NEW FILE CREATED WITH " & Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Hour(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Minute(Now) & " ADDED TO NAME."

Else
                                    System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & " Assigns.xlsm", My.Resources.Assigns1)

End If
                            Catch fileException As Exception
                                Throw fileException
                            End Try

End If

Else
                        My.Computer.FileSystem.CreateDirectory(Folder)

System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Second(Now) & " Assigns.xlsm", My.Resources.Assigns1)

CopyOfFile = Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Second(Now)

MessageBox.Show()
                            MessageBox.RichTextBox1.Text = "FILE EXISTED.  NEW FILE CREATED WITH " & Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Second(Now) & " ADDED TO NAME."

Else
                            Try

System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Second(Now) & " Assigns.xlsm", My.Resources.Assigns1)

CopyOfFile = Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Second(Now)

MessageBox.Show()
                                    MessageBox.RichTextBox1.Text = "FILE EXISTED.  NEW FILE CREATED WITH " & Month(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Day(Now) & Microsoft.VisualBasic.DateAndTime.Second(Now) & " ADDED TO NAME."

Else
                                    System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(Folder & Me.TextBox_Project.Text & " " & Me.TextBox_Title.Text & " Assigns.xlsm", My.Resources.Assigns1)
                                End If
                            Catch fileException As Exception
                                Throw fileException
                            End Try

End If

End If

The catch is not generating the error I don't think.  But when I open the Excel file afterward,  I get a message stating that the Macros are corrupted and it has not filled any of my data.

• Edited by -tE Monday, June 6, 2016 6:49 PM
    Monday, June 6, 2016 6:10 PM
  • What version of Office is involved?  Is it the same version on both computers?

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Monday, June 6, 2016 7:23 PM
  • Yes.  2007.  It runs fine on Win10,  but for this.

What about the dcomconfig?  I have read about how to change it to an interactive user,  but the icon for Excel does not show up in my screen shot.  They are also referring to Win Server,  but sure it is similar to this. The other option has to do with a folder that was removed at some point.  They suggest adding this to the file structure at:

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile

AND

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile

with a name of Desktop.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4408336/system-runtime-interopservices-comexception-0x800a03ec

I cant see that I would have to do this manually if it is the cause.  Could I create that folder with code or would the permissions block this?

• Edited by -tE Monday, June 6, 2016 9:20 PM
    Monday, June 6, 2016 8:05 PM
  • If Directory.Exists(Folder) Then

The catch is not generating the error I don't think.  But when I open the Excel file afterward,  I get a message stating that the Macros are corrupted and it has not filled any of my data.

This question might best be asked at a place where the Excel experts hang out.  However, I think it is to do with Excel Security and in particular the folders that are regarded as acceptable (from a security viewpoint) for Excel to access for such things as reading XLS files.   I would recommend going through your Excel security setup and checking how you have configured folder security. In my version it is under Options \ Trust Centre \ Trusted Locations and Options \ Trust Centre \ External Content.

Monday, June 6, 2016 9:41 PM
  • This question might best be asked at a place where the Excel experts hang out.  However, I think it is to do with Excel Security and in particular the folders that are regarded as acceptable (from a security viewpoint) for Excel to access for such things as reading XLS files.   I would recommend going through your Excel security setup and checking how you have configured folder security. In my version it is under Options \ Trust Centre \ Trusted Locations and Options \ Trust Centre \ External Content.

Agreed.  Moving to Excel for Developers.

Monday, June 6, 2016 10:07 PM
  • It is in 2007 Developer pane and Macros Security.  It has not been an issue till Win10.  I will try assigning the folder as a trusted location.  But, how would you assign it to a removable drive folder?  My app allows the user to chose a removable path.  It is unlikely to have more than 1 flash drive to chose from,  but possible. Any idea how to create a catch for this to inform the user to set the folder trust?

• Edited by -tE Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:13 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2016 11:29 PM
  • I have tried changing folder permissions within excel and that did not fix it. I am wondering about trying my non macro resource file to see if that changes anything. I have not done that yet. Somewhere between the copying of the file must be doing this since the macros are removed. Why would that be happening?
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 2:57 AM
  • .xlsx files copied fine. But I really need to figure out why the macros won't copy. Any help?
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:53 AM
  • I don't believe this is an Excel specific question. I am able to export a resource file which is an xlsx file. But, I can NOT export an xlsm with macro code from my app in Win10. Win7 yes. Any new issues I don't know about?
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:59 AM
  • Do you mean that you cannot write the resource to an xlsm file using file operations? Show some details.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 7:08 AM
  • Somewhere between the copying of the file must be doing this since the macros are removed. Why would that be happening?

What is the evidence that the copying is the problem?

You haven't shown any code relating to loading the file.  Is there any reason for copying the file by reading and writing bytes rather than using the .Net methods?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9706cfs5(v=vs.110).aspx

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 7:54 AM
  • I don't believe this is an Excel specific question. I am able to export a resource file which is an xlsx file. But, I can NOT export an xlsm with macro code from my app in Win10. Win7 yes. Any new issues I don't know about?

Duplicate post:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b20d3538-fc10-4641-b0e3-efd74add8e2a/imports-microsoftofficeinteropsexcel-and-drawing-error?forum=exceldev

You need to decide what the problem is.  So far you have:
    Drawing Error: "I can't use New Point() to draw a location on some of my form."

"System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800A03EC): Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC"

A corrupted XLS file: "But when I open the Excel file afterward,  I get a message stating that the Macros are corrupted and it has not filled any of my data."

and now you 'can NOT export an XLSM'.  You need to accurately describe the actual problem in order to identify the appropriate place to ask about it.

• Edited by Acamar Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:57 AM sp
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:56 AM
  • I tried adding the imports code line for the iterops thinking it might be the problem.  Does not seem to be.  But when I did it caused my graphics code to get confused.  I don't think this is the issue since I can do this with xlsx and not xlsm.

I don't have my test environment in Win 10. I am writing on a Win 7 machine, so I have to compile it and install it on the other platform. I get this error ONLY when I am trying to export the file as an xlsm file with vba code in it.  What I am trying to figure out is whether there is a permissions protection causing the export to fail. After I export it and get the error, I try to open the file. It will but there is an Excel error stating it has removed the corrupted vba code. This is no good. But also it is suppose to go ahead and write to the worksheets and will not.

My xlsx file will export and write its data. I also received the error in a Win 7 test debug after I tried unprotecting and then protecting the sheets,  so I thought maybe this was the problem for the sheet that has the vba code was protected.  So I went through my workbook and unprotected everything and then the code is going to protect it after it writes to it.  But this did not get the error fixed.

• Edited by -tE Tuesday, June 7, 2016 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 10:03 AM
  • After I export it and get the error, I try to open the file. It will but there is an Excel error stating it has removed the corrupted vba code.

If the problem only occurs when the macros are included then the likely problem is that security settings in the W10 installation are preventing Excel from opening a spreadsheet with macros enabled.   You would have to find a way of doing that automation with macro privileges enabled.  If macros have been removed then presumably the file cannot be updated because the updating depends on those macros.  You should examine the Excel object model to find out how to enable macro processing without requiring user approval. That might be difficult as it would be a security hole. 

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:04 PM
  • Well darn it.  Thought that's what I thought I was asking. Ha.  I changed my trust settings on the Win10 system Excel program.  I don't know where else I have to look.  The Dcomcnfg.exe has been used also.  But on my Win7 machine I don't see an icon for Excel listed.  I haven't looked on my Win10 machine.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 7:01 PM
  • Is it possible that the SDK is newer than what I have installed? I have checked and there is a newer version than what I am using.
    • Edited by -tE Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:16 AM
  • Hi -tE,

Could you reproduce this issue when you copy this Excel xlsm file on other location? you could refer to below code:
    private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        var value = Properties.Resources.Missing_Owner_Threads;
        ByteArrayToFile("D:\\writedFile.xlsm", value);
    }
    public bool ByteArrayToFile(string _FileName, byte[] _ByteArray)
    {
        try
        {
            // Open file for reading
            System.IO.FileStream _FileStream =
                new System.IO.FileStream(_FileName, System.IO.FileMode.Create,
                                        System.IO.FileAccess.Write);
            // Writes a block of bytes to this stream using data from
            // a byte array.
            _FileStream.Write(_ByteArray, 0, _ByteArray.Length);

// close file stream
            _FileStream.Close();

return true;
        }
        catch (Exception _Exception)
        {
            // Error
            MessageBox.Show("Exception caught in process: {0}",
                                _Exception.ToString());
        }

// error occured, return false
        return false;
    }

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:32 AM
  • Try to catch the error. Yes I might need to. I am running out of other options.  My app copies this file first thing so it could be caught easily.

VB.Net

Try

Catch ex As IOException
       MsgBox(ex.ToString)

End Try

Like this maybe??

• Edited by -tE Wednesday, June 8, 2016 2:53 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 2:43 AM
  • I tried this catch and it did not occur. If it is written right, though. I still get the COM error.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 3:09 AM
  • Somewhere between the copying of the file must be doing this since the macros are removed. Why would that be happening?

What is the evidence that the copying is the problem?

You haven't shown any code relating to loading the file.  Is there any reason for copying the file by reading and writing bytes rather than using the .Net methods?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9706cfs5(v=vs.110).aspx

The way I have written is my first effort.  No reason I couldn't try another way.  The file gets corrupted during the process and the macros are removed.

I did some more research and the suggested way is to write the bytes.  I tried writing a Copy sting,  but VB doesn't recognize the begin Path when I used My.Resources.

• Edited by -tE Wednesday, June 8, 2016 3:29 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 3:25 AM
  • Hi -tE,

According to your description, I have tried to reproduce this issue, unfortunately, I am not able, refer to below C# code:
    {
        var value = Properties.Resources.Sample;

}
    {
        try
        {
            // Open file for reading
            // a byte array.

// close file stream
            _FileStream.Close();

return true;
        }
        {
            // Error
                                _Exception.ToString());
        }
        return false;
    }

private void button2_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
            Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application  xlApp;
            Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook   xlWorkBook;
            //Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet xlWorkSheet;

Type ExcelType = Type.GetTypeFromProgID("Excel.Application");
        xlApp = (Excel.Application)Activator.CreateInstance(ExcelType);
        xlApp.Visible = true;
        xlWorkBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("D:\\writedFile.xlsm");
    }
    Could you reproduce this issue when you use an other file location?
    Friday, June 10, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Hi -tE,

According to your description, I have tried to reproduce this issue, unfortunately, I am not able, refer to below C# code:
    {
        var value = Properties.Resources.Sample;

}
    {
        try
        {
            // Open file for reading
            // a byte array.

// close file stream
            _FileStream.Close();

return true;
        }
        {
            // Error
                                _Exception.ToString());
        }
        return false;
    }

private void button2_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
            Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application  xlApp;
            Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook   xlWorkBook;
            //Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet xlWorkSheet;

Type ExcelType = Type.GetTypeFromProgID("Excel.Application");
        xlApp = (Excel.Application)Activator.CreateInstance(ExcelType);
        xlApp.Visible = true;
        xlWorkBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("D:\\writedFile.xlsm");
    }
    Could you reproduce this issue when you use an other file location?

I haven't tried yet.  My app allows either the public docs folder or creates a folder on a removable flash drive. My .xlsx and .xlsm files are imported as resources.  The .xlsm has the macros embed within the .xlsm file.  The .xlsx file will copy to the public documents folder and then it is opened and written to(not macros data for the sheets).  The .xlsm file,  however,  seems to be having trouble being copied and saved for my app errors.  As well,  the file began the copy process.  But, when opening says the macros were corrupt and have been removed.  Win 7 this was not the case.  It is possible there is a security issue.  I am shocked however. 

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 6:10 AM
  • >>>The .xlsx file will copy to the public documents folder and then it is opened and written to(not macros data for the sheets).  The .xlsm file,  however,  seems to be having trouble being copied and saved for my app errors.<<<

According to your description, I suggest that you could copy *.xlsm file into local drive, could you reproduce this issue? Otherwise if you copy *.xlsm file without code into public documents folder, do you have same issue? It would help you narrow down and find out what is root cause.

Thanks for your understanding.
    • Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Sunday, June 19, 2016 2:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, June 20, 2016 2:26 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by -tE Monday, July 11, 2016 2:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Fellas,

The problem was easily fixed.  Excel does not install all the VBA components unless asked.  I had to install the VBA component and it works correctly.  Thanks for helping.
    • Edited by -tE Monday, July 11, 2016 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by -tE Monday, July 11, 2016 2:21 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 2:20 AM