Question

• First the system specs

Windows Dev Preview x64 build 8102 M3

Dell studio xps 1340 laptop

Intel p8600 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

4GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM

Nvidia GeForce 9400M G

320GB Seagate Momentus HDD

This system experiences frequent hangs that occur without warning. The problem was not present back when I used Windows 7. The only way that I can tell thst the hang has occurred is that the laptop becomes completely unresponsive. When I reboot, the only visible trace that something has gone wrong is an entry in the event log saying that the computer was shutdown improperly. I seriously doubt that it is sending debug information to Microsoft the way it should be. In fact, while I was typing this, my laptop froze and I had to post this from my Android tablet. Is there any way that I could compile a bug report to manually send to Microsoft?

As for the second problem, the computer is unable to exit hibernation. It will enter hibernation properly, but when I try to resume it will hang on the screen that says Windows Developer Preview. The loading animation will not appear and the HDD light doesnt show activity. I force reboot the computer and it boots up fine but there is no indication that something has gone wrong. I dont think it is sending debug info to Microsoft so again Im wondering if there is something that I can do to provide Microsoft with more information so that they can fix these prpblems.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:53 PM

Answers

• Thomas Lyons,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    (
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

If there are any questions let us know.

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Thomas Lysons,

Also, have you tried a refresh to see if this alleviates your problem?

To do a refresh of your machine then please do the following:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.

4. Click the Next button at the “Refresh your PC” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

Here’s what will happen:

· Your files and personalization settings won’t change.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

5. Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Insert your Windows installation or recovery media

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Refresh button at the “Ready to refresh your PC” step.

Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and the user will be left at the Lock Screen where they can log back in with their existing user account.

“When you reset your PC your personal files and apps will be removed and your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.”

Please post back with the results

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:05 PM

All replies

• Thomas Lyons,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    (
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

If there are any questions let us know.

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Thomas Lysons,

Also, have you tried a refresh to see if this alleviates your problem?

To do a refresh of your machine then please do the following:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.

4. Click the Next button at the “Refresh your PC” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

Here’s what will happen:

· Your files and personalization settings won’t change.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

5. Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

Insert your Windows installation or recovery media

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Refresh button at the “Ready to refresh your PC” step.

Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and the user will be left at the Lock Screen where they can log back in with their existing user account.

“When you reset your PC your personal files and apps will be removed and your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.”

Please post back with the results

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:05 PM