What would be the best approach for this scenario ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello forum.

Currently, we are working on the test process automation where we felt Team Foundation 2008 will be useful and suited our needs, specifically for quality assurance purposes. There is this requirement, about optimizing the test results, which traditionally are passed from bugs to work items, so the people who is in charge could take a look on them and performs modifications to deliver a new version and so on.

However, this process requires manual intervetion by the tester (right click, add as a work item). I do read the forum and so far know that is not possible using at least the previous version of TFS, as described in another thread.

I dare to ask,

a) It is some feature enabled in the new version for something herein descrided (or at least similar).

b) What is the best approach/options to achieve this work item automation by bugs ?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, August 11, 2008 3:10 PM

Answers

• I see, thank you for confirming. From Team Test side in VS2008 there is no extensibility point (event) to do something when test/test run is finished BUT there is a way/workaround inside VS IDE to poll for all test runs (say, each minute or so to see if there is a new run) and get test results for a specific test run, which would work for this scenario. This would be ITmi.GetTestRuns and ITmi.GetTestResults, you can find how to get ITmi inside VS IDE from this post. Alternatively, you can get failed tests by parsing TRX (test results) file.

I am not sure if there is public API to create work items programmatiacally in VS2008, let me find this out.

Thanks,

Michael Koltachev, Visual Studio Team Test

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hello, let me clarify: you want to programmatically create work items in tfs for failed test results, which can be manually done by: from test results window, right click on failed test result, select create work item/add to work item...

Right?

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Well, that is the idea. That the qa guy would not spend time doing the manual process, if possible automate taking the test results as the initial point and create those work items for the dev guy.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:26 AM
  • I see, thank you for confirming. From Team Test side in VS2008 there is no extensibility point (event) to do something when test/test run is finished BUT there is a way/workaround inside VS IDE to poll for all test runs (say, each minute or so to see if there is a new run) and get test results for a specific test run, which would work for this scenario. This would be ITmi.GetTestRuns and ITmi.GetTestResults, you can find how to get ITmi inside VS IDE from this post. Alternatively, you can get failed tests by parsing TRX (test results) file.

I am not sure if there is public API to create work items programmatiacally in VS2008, let me find this out.

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:46 AM