none
Deployment of storage account with same name takes too long

Question

• I deployed a resource group consisting of VM, NIC, VNET, public IP and storage account. I then deleted the RG as I was done with it. I created the group again from the same ARM template with the same RG name, and the creation of the storage account takes far too long.

The storage account name uses uniqueString(resourceGroup().id)) to make sure it is unique. I know I could use uniqueString(resourceGroup().id, deployment().name) and I wouldn't have any issues, but that's not the point I'm making.

If I start another deployment but change the name of the storage account to something not used before, creation takes seconds, as opposed to the 12 minutes for the most recent deployment.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed,

Recreating a storage account with the same name as a recently deleted account can take longer if your account has a lot of data.
    If it is just an empty account, the experience should be the same.
    We might need additional information such as your storage account name and date/time that you experienced the delay if you would like to investigate this further.

Regards,
    Malar.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:47 AM
  • But surely at the point of creation of a storage account, it is always going to be empty...
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:28 PM
  • This is still occurring, and is impacting deploy times quite severely. Would it be possible to provide deployment details for investigation? I would like to find out why this is happening, and if I can mitigate it without having a name unique to each deployment, because I need the name consistent for incremental deploys.
    Friday, May 20, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Here you find information about Monitoring, Diagnostics, telemetry, Troubleshoot Azure Storage :

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-monitoring-diagnosing-troubleshooting/

Hope this information is helpful for you.

best regards,

@Jamesvandenberg

Saturday, May 21, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Thanks for the link James, but my issue is to do with deploying a storage account resource with an arm template, not for the actual use of it.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:06 PM