WFP Samples: Feedback Requested RRS feed

• General discussion

• Now that Windows 8 is nearly complete, and we at Microsoft are preparing for the next Windows release, we'd like to hear from you about our current WFP samples. Please post with your feedback for the WFP samples that are currently in the DDK (links to each of the WFP samples are provided in the Announcements section at teh top of the main WFP forum portal).

As part of your feedback, please let us know if your preference is to have static focused samples to obtaining a single task (such as the Stream Edit sample), or a sample that is more generic and configurable (such as the WFPSampler).

Is the semi-monolithic approach of the WFPSampler too much and would you rather have the scenarios broken into indivual samples?

Do you have ideas for samples you would like to see?

Finally, if you haven't already, please take the time to rate each of the samples you use.

We are looking forward to your feedback so we can help better the samples and in turn better meet your needs.

Thanks,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:51 PM

All replies

• It's greate job, thank you!!! The code is slightly difficult for reading ( I dislike macros and  labels ).

I'd like to see a sample of a Filtering Platform Helper Class for WFPSampler. And I wonder How You can pass "Filter.Driver.WindowsFilteringPlatform.ArchitecturalDesign.NetworkDiagnosticsFramework.HelperClass" without it?

Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Due to time constraints, the NDF helper class got cut, and you are right, that is one logo test it is unable to pass.  Hopefully in the near future this will be added back in.

As for the macros and labels, I truthfully don't see this changing.  No new macros will be added, and the labels allow for the functions to have 1 common exit point, with the jumps only being done for failures.

Thanks,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation

Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:59 PM
  • When wil the NDF helper class be available? at RTM release?

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:26 AM
  • No it will  not make it for RTM release.

Thanks,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:47 PM
  • I like the generic semi monolithic samples (especially the firewall example in the driver kit).  I prefer them as long as each part of the whole is coded as simple and fundamental as possible. 

I figure if I want to learn about a specific thing,  I can extrapolate what I want from the larger sample but at the same time,  see how it fits into the big picture.  And without that larger sample that does more,  I might not be able to understand how that one feature would incorporate into a larger picture. 

The only negative is that with the larger samples it can get confusing alot easier (code readability causes problems when projects get large you start using functions nested within functions and pointers that point to pointers and variables and functions declared on one file and implemented in another).  Can make you dizzy.

The short sample's are very easy to understand there is no arguiing that.

When in doubt,  do a mixture of BOTH I say.

As far as future samples I would like to see an example on how to make a class that has methods for constructing,  adding,  and removing filters. A console program that allows you to create any type of filter that WFP supports through a menu.  I think it would be a good example because object oriented programming working nicely with the Windows Filtering Platform is important.  It would also show the depth of the filters and layers in Windows Filtering Platform. 
    Monday, August 6, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Samples are great help. only one suggestion: improve the comments/documentation :)
    • Edited by W8Lover Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:59 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:58 AM