Can't change performance level S1 to S2. "The operation is not supported for your subscription offer type." RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SQL Database running on the new Standard edition, S1 performance level. When I try to change the performance level from S1 to S2 on manage.windowsazure.com I get an error that reads "The operation is not supported for your subscription offer type."

Does anyone recognize this error? Am I doing something wrong? Is the error message right that is is related to my subscription? (I have a normal pay-as-you-go subscription.) Or is changing the performance level not supported in the Preview? I can't find any documentation about that kind of limitation.

I'd appreciate any info, even if it's just a "works on my machine". :-)

Monday, May 5, 2014 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Johan,

Sorry you've been inconvenienced by this.  The error you saw should only occur for a subscription used with a free trial offer type but I think we have a problem where that status remains recorded against the subscription for a period after it is upgraded.  If you provide us with the name of any servers on which you have databases that need to use S2 or any Premium performance level we will get those servers enabled correctly.  In the meantime we are also pursuing a fix for the underlying problem.

Please send your server details to my colleague, Vinod Jagannathan, at alias@microsoft.com replacing alias with his firstname.lastname.  

Thanks, and again our apologies for the inconvenience!

Bill

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Johan,

Sorry you've been inconvenienced by this.  The error you saw should only occur for a subscription used with a free trial offer type but I think we have a problem where that status remains recorded against the subscription for a period after it is upgraded.  If you provide us with the name of any servers on which you have databases that need to use S2 or any Premium performance level we will get those servers enabled correctly.  In the meantime we are also pursuing a fix for the underlying problem.

Please send your server details to my colleague, Vinod Jagannathan, at alias@microsoft.com replacing alias with his firstname.lastname.  

Thanks, and again our apologies for the inconvenience!

Bill

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:21 AM
  • I just encountered this same issue and sent email to Vinod.  I'm surprised this problem is occurring 5 months later.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Hello, Bill!

I am experiencing the same error!

I sent the server info to Vinod, is he still working on this ?

Please help me with this issue!

Regards

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Oh by the way... i managed to change to S2 a couple of days ago, then changed back to S1 because i didnt need it at the time.

Today i tried to change to s2 again and thats when i got this error.  So this is recent...

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Hi Stephen and Alessandro,

It looks like there may be a problem again in this area and we're taking a look at it.  Please would you open a support ticket if you haven't already as our support team can handle this for you.  They will need to know the details of your subscription ID and server and database name.  You can create the support ticket from here: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/options/

Sorry for the inconvenience! 

Bill Gibson 

Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:58 AM
  • (That would be Steven - sorry!)

And if you have any problems getting this sorted out promptly please get back to me and I will get it fixed for you.  You can contact me at first.last @ microsoft.com. 

Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Hello, the problem is exists again.

Could you please check it.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 7:44 AM
  • Please upgrade your server to V12.  If that does not resolve the issue please open a support ticket.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:38 AM
  • How does one open a support ticket? When I attempt to open it, it says I have no support contract. I attempted to register this issue as a Subscription issue (since that is the likely culprit) but those guys can't seem to fix it (past 2 days).

Friday, September 11, 2015 2:04 PM
  • Hi Huzaif, have you tried to upgrade your server to V12 which should remove the restriction?  It's not a subscription problem as such although you will not be restricted if you were to upgrade your subscription to a full pay as you go subscription.  If you have upgraded the server to V12 and are still seeing the problem then please let me know (contact details above).

Thanks, Bill

Friday, September 11, 2015 3:50 PM