none
Outlook crashing when using VSTO Add in RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm developing an Add in for Outlook that processes PDF Attachments - I'm using the Library from PDFSharp to do the actual processing of the PDF.

So most of the time everything is fine, but, every so often Outlook just crashes but does not leave an event or raise any errors. I have try / catch blocks round the code but don't get any exceptions. Whilst the error can be reproduced - by processing a few hundred emails - I cannot produce it at will so cannot really run via the Debugger. The other point is that it does not always crash during a session

From what I have read Outlook does not enable you to put any code to capture unhandled exceptions -  I have the <Show add-in user interface error> switch turned on and enabled Outlook logging plus the VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS set to 0 and still cannot identify the error

Question

How can I capture what the error is

Cheers

Jim

Thursday, November 23, 2017 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Jimf007,

I can see that you are using PDFSharp. which is not a product of Microsoft. so we are not aware about it.

As you said error does not occur always but it can be reproduce at any time.

so It looks like for most of the files it works correctly but some files may create some issue and cause this error.

so you need to check those specific files which cause the error and compare it with other files which works without any issue.

it can help you to solve the issue.

you did not post any code and also you did not get any error message. so without code and without any error message it is hard for us to find the exact issue.

what I had suggested you is just based on possibility.

you can try to put some PDF files in one folder.

when you process the files at that time print the file names.

so when outlook get crashed you can find that file easily and try to check if anything there in file can cause this issue.

I suggest you to check the documentation of "PDFSharp" and see which outlook versions supported by it. which version you are using.

if you are not using a compatible version then it also cause this kind of issue. so in that case try to update the "PDFSharp" to work with the version of outlook that you are using.

if there is any pending updates for Outlook then try to update the latest updates and again check for the issue.

for displaying the error, you can refer links below.

How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors

Tips and Tricks for Troubleshooting Office Add-ins Part – 1

Event Logging for Office Solutions

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 1:57 AM
  • Hi Jimf007,

I can see that after creating this thread, you did not done any follow up on this issue.

is your issue is solved?

if yes, I suggest you to post your solution and mark it as an answer.

if your issue is still exist then try to refer the suggestions given by the community members.

if you have any further questions then let us know about that.

we will try to provide further suggestions to solve the issue.

this thread is still open and will remain open until you mark the answer.

so please try to update the status of the issue on this thread and take appropriate action to keep this forum healthy and helpful.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:12 AM