Workflow Services RRS feed

• Question

• How can i handle if one of the stages in not madatory in state machine workflow?

Let me explain. I have a state machine workflow.
     My different stages are User Request,Approval by Manager,Approval by HR, User confirmation and then Finance Manager close request after process.
     Here User Confirmation is not a mandatory state. It's up to user to confirm or not but i need to execute a set of process if user confirm.
    If user confirm or not confirm Finance Manager can close the request. Can someone tell me how can I include this in my state machine workflow?

Kindly help. 

Monday, November 30, 2009 6:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

State machine is not shipped out of the box in WF 4.0.  However, as announced at PDC, there will be a separate out-of-band preview release of the StateMachine activity that'd be in the same time frame as WF4.0.  If you're using state machine in WF 3.5, try reposting your question in the main WF forum.

Using the state machine that was demo'ed at PDC'09, you may do the following:

* have the following states: request submitted, manager approved, HR approved, user confirmed <- notice that I've used past tense here, so when I'm in the "HR approved" state, HR has already approved, and we're waiting either for the user to confirm or for finance to close.
    * add a "user confirm" trigger to the "HR approved" state, which will kick off a transition to the "user confirmed" state.
    * add a "finance close" trigger to the "HR approved" state, which will close the process.

Does that make sense?

• Proposed as answer by Xiaowen Xin Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ryan Mathew Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:06 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:45 PM