None of the Metro Apps Opening?

Question

• This may have been answered already but a quick search yielded no results... The start menu allows me to click on the Metro apps such as Weather and Stocks but the files do not proceed to execute, or if they do I do not see anything to know so. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:24 AM

Answers

• Driver_King,

This can happen if your display settings are set below 1024x 768.  Change this from the control panel and try to open yoru apps.

Charles

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:09 AM

All replies

• Driver_King,

This can happen if your display settings are set below 1024x 768.  Change this from the control panel and try to open yoru apps.

Charles

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:09 AM
  • My native screen resolution is 1024 x 600 (Acer AOD 250 netbook). Am I out of luck for now? (Unless of course I connect an external monitor)
    • Edited by Driver_King Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Driver_King,

You are correct.  At that resolution the apps will not run.  Try the external monitor with a higher resolution to enable the experience.

Charles

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:50 AM
  • I am having the same problem. When I click a Metro Style app like Weather. The splash screen will show up and stay there for a half minute or so, then it'll go to the dark green background that is used throughout Windows 8 Dev Preview. I have to use the left side of the screen to get to another app or use the Windows key to get out. It never shows up in Task Manager as a process or anything. And my resolution is 1440x900. Is there anything else that could be causing this issue?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Same thing here, 1024x600 (Samsung N210 netbook). After connecting external display everything works ;'<
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Charles,

Is this a problem on the preview or working as designed?

I have this problem on a  Asus T101MT (tablet convertible) and I cant use it touch only like a tablet due to this.

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:17 PM
  • I am having a similar problem. However, only a few Apps open. The others attempt to start up but either stay blank (or the colour they're supposed to be) or close and the computer goes back to Start. Resolution: 1680x1050.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:25 PM
  • My resolution is 1920x1200

I quickly tested several other resolutions and those apps still won't load.

Normal desktop applications run fine, IE and Control Panel open, but Windows Store and all other 'apps' won't launch.  Instead the splash screen only appears or a blank colour.  Switching back to the Start screen eventually closes the splash screen of the other app.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:36 PM
  • My resolution is 1920x1200

I quickly tested several other resolutions and those apps still won't load.

Normal desktop applications run fine, IE and Control Panel open, but Windows Store and all other 'apps' won't launch.  Instead the splash screen only appears or a blank colour.  Switching back to the Start screen eventually closes the splash screen of the other app.

Which version are you using? x86, x64 or x64 with dev tools?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:15 PM
  • This worked for me

Right, I created a new account with my LiveId. Logged off and then in using it and things seem to be working. Apps and the keyboard. Haven't tested them all but Socialite andTweet@rama are go. Don't know if it's the Live log on or the new account.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:27 PM
  • - make a remote connection from a win 7 computer ( with bigger resolution ), (http://blogs.technet.com/b/digital_musketeer/archive/2011/09/14/how-to-enable-remote-desktop-on-the-windows-8-ctp.aspx)

- open from there all the metro apps you want to play with,

- login again from your low resolution machine, without logging out from the remote desktop ( to force the disconnection )

- you should be able to still play with the metro apps that were opened before, but now in your machine.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:41 PM
  • I just tried the remote connection solution suggested above (neat trick!), but it didn't resolve my issue. I'm still unable to load the Metro apps on a specific user account. All other accounts I've created since then don't have the same problem.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Besides the resolution requirements, we have found that it seems that an Administrator with a LiveID login can't run Metro Apps.

We creatd a local account and at first it worked fine, but eventually it stopped running Metro apps.  To test, we created a login using a LiveID.  Bam, everything wored under the LiveID account.  When we tried to do some systems changes (file sharing, etc), we realized that the new LiveID account needed to be an Adminstrator on the system.

So we went back to the original local account and went into User Accounts and made the LiveID account an Administrator.  After that we logged in as the LiveID account and tested changing system priviledges.  No problem.  But when we went to run Metro apps, none worked!!!  After some trial and error, we decided to remove the Adminstrative priviledges from the LiveID account.  Voila!  We we logged back into the LiveID account all the Metro apps started working again.

It's our guess that Microsoft doesn't want (at least in the Developer Preview version) to have a LiveID linked to an Adminstration account on your local PC.  Maybe their worried if someone hacks into your LiveID, they somehow can gain Adminstrative priviledges on your local PC?

We don't know, but we now logon with our Adminstration account AND the LiveID account.  We develop in one and test in the other.  Just touching the username in the upper right give you a list of users (logged in or not) and we just touch the other account name and after logging in, we are in the other account.  No real difference from fast user switching that has been around for years.  Just faster and lot cooler looking.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:11 AM
  • If I Login as Administrator (local account - buit in Administrator account) Metro Apps do not run ...

If I Login as Luciano (local account - Administrator) Metro Apps run OK ...

Cheers

Luciano

Friday, October 21, 2011 10:45 PM