Outlook 2003 and 2007 deployments RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created a new outlook 2007 add-in using VS 2008 and VSTO 3.0. I used ClickOnce for deployment and everything worked fine. I also want to create the same addin for Outlook 2003. I know I can use VS 2008 and VST0 3.0 for outlook 2003 addin. Will I have Clickonce support for outlook 2003? If not can i use Windows installer and still completely automate the deployment process? Please help.

Friday, April 30, 2010 9:36 PM

Answers

• Rajesh,

It is possible to have the new MSIs put in a shared place so clients can check for newer versions and install them automatically using msiexec command. As far as I know, to install the msi the users need the admin right, unless it is being deployed using group policy.

Hamed

• Marked as answer by Rajesh Vasan Monday, May 3, 2010 10:07 PM
    Monday, May 3, 2010 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Rajesh,

ClickOnce deployment of VSTO solutions is available only for Office 2007 projects in Visual Studio 2008 and it is not supported for Office 2003 solutions. you need to use Windows Installer (MSI) to deploy Office 2003 solutions. see here for more information. This is going to be automated in a sense of the first installation, i.e. users run a msi file and the addin is installed. however, there is no automatic updated like in the ClickOnce scenario. therefore, when you change your addin, you need to redistribute the new msi to the users to install.

Let us know if you have any question.

Hamed

• Proposed as answer by RobinDotNet Monday, May 3, 2010 6:45 AM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Hameed,

Thanks a lot for the information. I have a requirement where the user clicks on an Update button in Outlook addin which should check for updates and install the newer version automatically. Is this possible for Outlook 2003? Also the users will not have admin rights on the machine...

Monday, May 3, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Rajesh,

It is possible to have the new MSIs put in a shared place so clients can check for newer versions and install them automatically using msiexec command. As far as I know, to install the msi the users need the admin right, unless it is being deployed using group policy.

Hamed

• Marked as answer by Rajesh Vasan Monday, May 3, 2010 10:07 PM
    Monday, May 3, 2010 4:37 PM