Some Unicode characters not displaying RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application running on PSC Falcon 4220 device running Windows CE.Net 4.2.  When I try to display several unicode characters (9650,9658,9660,9668) in the application, they will only display as square boxes.  I ran a test with other unicode characters such as the mathematical operators (8706-8805) and they do display properly.  I have an Arial.TTF file on the handheld and am using it to display these characters.  This same font file works fine on a PPC 2003 device.

Does anyone know why some characters that I assume are in the font file would not display under this version of the OS?

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi cmccomsey,

As far as I know, the proper way is using a device localized in the language. Installing font is not the proper way to do it, it may has some problem.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:05 AM
  • This is beacuse yours device need language settings configuration .

For example if yours device doesn't have arabic langauge device , you will face the same issue , even though you follow the same approach .

Once you select the arabic language ( localization) of device it would display as per yours expectation .

Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi cmccomsey,

As far as I know, the proper way is using a device localized in the language. Installing font is not the proper way to do it, it may has some problem.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:05 AM
  • This is beacuse yours device need language settings configuration .

For example if yours device doesn't have arabic langauge device , you will face the same issue , even though you follow the same approach .

Once you select the arabic language ( localization) of device it would display as per yours expectation .

Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Further more , you can verified above reply by installaing the language specific localization third party software in yours device or emulator
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:50 PM