Start new project using MVC5 or MVC6 (either .NET Framework / Core) what are your opinions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

in a couple of weeks we have to decide whether we should start our new project using MVC5 or go to MVC6. As a developer I'd immediately chose for MVC6. But project management is not sure yet ... it's 'new and different' and thus less certain.

Our previous project is running on MVC4 and could easily be converted to MVC5 (we're not going to though, not in the near future). Is ASPNET Core MVC6 production ready, even though the tooling is still (I believe) preview 2? And what about .NET Core? We're going to build a web application that has to run for several years.

Personally I'd say go for MVC6 and .NET Core but that's a developer talking.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Mr. Alexander Pino,

I completely agree with you. To me there's a lot of benefits to be had with this setup. For developers the cross platform and the reduced footprint don't really come in to it. The full framework is already installed on their servers anyway. The only thing you are losing out on is the improved performance in the infrastructure which is diminished anyway once you are behind IIS.

I also suggest you post in Asp .Net Core forum for other suggestions.

https://forums.asp.net/1255.aspx/1?ASP+NET+Core

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Kristin Xie Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:56 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Kristin Xie Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:09 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:52 AM