Get Hotmail Contact Email Address RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am trying to pull a users contacts email addresses into my website so they can invite their friends to the site.

I have been trying to figure out how to do this for 5 days now and am completely floored at how hard it is. It took me 2 hours to accomplish this for Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, and AOL. It has to be possible, because plenty of sites offer this functionality.

How can I accomplish this in PHP?

I have tried 5.0 but was only able to get email hashes. I tried 4.1 but was only able to get contacts information without email address.

Someone please help!

Friday, July 1, 2011 2:50 AM

Answers

• Hello, I am trying to pull a users contacts email addresses into my website so they can invite their friends to the site.

I have been trying to figure out how to do this for 5 days now and am completely floored at how hard it is. It took me 2 hours to accomplish this for Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, and AOL. It has to be possible, because plenty of sites offer this functionality.

I have tried 5.0 but was only able to get email hashes. I tried 4.1 but was only able to get contacts information without email address.

Someone please help!

We do not provide access to email addresses of Hotmail contacts via the Messenger Connect APIs. 
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:25 PM

All replies

Someone please help!

We do not provide access to email addresses of Hotmail contacts via the Messenger Connect APIs. 
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:25 PM
  • so which api could be used to retrieve the emails as in Facebook Invite Friends?
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Here's something you might find helpful: In version 5.0, we do not allow accessing a user's contact's emails however, we do give developers the ability to discover hashes of the user's contacts' emails.

See this help page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/hh278351

The scenario here so if you have existing users using your application for whom you already know their emails, you can compute the proper hashes of these emails and check to see if any of a user's friends or contacts are already users of your application.

This scenario only requires the wl.basic scope.

I hope this helps,

Matt

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:22 PM
  • sorry, but with this limitation the sdk becomes totally unuseful

Jesús Bosch Aiguadé
    Twitter: @jboschaiguade / @plungeint
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/plungeinteractive

• Proposed as answer by Andy Andy Andy Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:21 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 5:40 PM
  • This is the most hilariously bad contacts api I have encountered. I can't believe I went through all this work to find out that we can't access email addresses, even though the user has granted us permisison to do so.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:20 AM