Where has ICommandExtension been gone in VS 11?

Question

• Well, the title is the question. I am trying to port my UML Modeling Extensions to VS 11, but I can't find that interface since neither .NET 4.5 nor the VS 11 DTP seem to come with Microsoft.VisualStudio.Modeling.Sdk.10.0 or Microsoft.VisualStudio.Modeling.Sdk.11.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• Moved by Yi Feng Li Monday, October 10, 2011 2:32 AM DEV11 (From:Visual Studio Extensibility)
    Friday, October 07, 2011 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hello.

The reason why you don't see this interface is by no means that it was dropped from Visual Studio, but that it is defined in Microsoft.VisualStudio.Modeling.Sdk.11.0.dll. While this DLL is part of the DSL runtime (hence present in VS11 in the GAC), we ship the reference assemblies (the ones that you can access from the "Add Reference" dialog) in the "VsVm SDK". And it turns out that we did not ship a VsVm SDK for the //build/ "Dev11 Developer preview".

We'll ship a VsVm SDK for the VS11 Beta.

Meanwhile if you really need it, and need only that, you can find it in the GAC (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL), although it's not a particularly good practice to reference directly assemblies from there.

Best regards

Jean-Marc
    • Marked as answer by CPosingies Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:27 AM

All replies

• The reason you're not seeing that interface, CP, is that we haven't shipped it with the BUILD version of VS11. I've got your feedback that you'd like to see it for a future drop. Thanks!
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Hello.

The reason why you don't see this interface is by no means that it was dropped from Visual Studio, but that it is defined in Microsoft.VisualStudio.Modeling.Sdk.11.0.dll. While this DLL is part of the DSL runtime (hence present in VS11 in the GAC), we ship the reference assemblies (the ones that you can access from the "Add Reference" dialog) in the "VsVm SDK". And it turns out that we did not ship a VsVm SDK for the //build/ "Dev11 Developer preview".

We'll ship a VsVm SDK for the VS11 Beta.

Meanwhile if you really need it, and need only that, you can find it in the GAC (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL), although it's not a particularly good practice to reference directly assemblies from there.

Best regards

Jean-Marc
    • Marked as answer by CPosingies Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Jean-Marc,

thank you for your answer (and Chris too). That's good news. Altough I was pretending that UML <-> Code round-tripping would be there in VS 11 Ult, at least the good ol' VSIX will be back in the near future.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Carsten

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:15 PM