none
near mode for kinect v2 RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

for academic research purposes, I am interested in using Kinect v2 to capture depth data of a model brain. However, compared to the data that we can extract from MRI of the same model brain, the depth data shows too few surface features due to the required minimal distance of 50cm to the sensor.

In the paper from Noonan et al. (Noonan PJ, Howard J, Hallett WA, Gunn RN, et al. Repurposing the Microsoft Kinect for Windows v2 for external head motion tracking for brain PET. Phys Med Biol 2015;60:8753-8766.), I have seen that it is possible to have better depth data at a close range by configuring the sensor with the experimental near-field firmware. 

I have also read (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/deefc3a9-1e7f-4595-a1c3-30f5a3c233f3/kinect-sdk-v20-how-to-configure-near-mode?forum=kinectv2sdk) that you “have a specific device, that has specific firmware/software that enables the device to have a near field mode of 10cm to 1meter, but is not a feature of the current sensors.” 

The posts says that it is possible to send an email to k4w@microsoft.com to request the firmware explaining in detail in the email what purpose is needed for. However, I tried to send an email to this address and I always get a failure delivery notification. 

Is there a way to request this experimental feature?

Thank you for your time!

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:36 PM

All replies

• Is there an answer for this?  Email to k4w@microsoft.com still bounces.

Thanks and regards.

Friday, October 28, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

You can use libfreenect2 and change their minimum depth when it is set (line 604 ish in libfreenect2.cpp). You will need to apply some kind of filter to reduce the intensity of IR light from the Kinect (I use a floppy disk :)) placed over the IR diffusing elements on the inside of the Kinect. I would recommend using libfreenect2 over the kinectservice, especially if you refocus the IR lens to ~10 cm or so (and then you need to use different camera parameters).

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:38 AM