Action Center Warning Regarding File System Problem

Question

• Yesterday I received a warning that Windows had detected a problem with the file system that needed to be fixed and the system should be restarted immediately.  I did so but the system went into a continuous reboot scenario without any apparent operations to check the disks.  I used the Windows Developer Preview CD attempting to check disk but always resulted in a reboot.  Finally did a System Restore and booted to Windows 7 ran chkdsk on the Windows Developer Preview which found free space allocated.  I would assume that the intended action would be to restart, run chkdsk, and then reboot allowing normal operation from boot manager.
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 11:27 PM

Answers

• ok, I see this:

ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
    ntdll!NtWaitForSingleObject
    KERNELBASE!WaitForSingleObjectEx
    esent!UserDebugBreakPoint
    esent!AssertFail
    esent!LOG::ErrLGRIPpibFromProcid
    esent!LOG::ErrLGRIRedoOperation
    esent!LOG::ErrLGRIRedoOperations
    esent!LOG::ErrLGRRedo
    esent!memset
    esent!ErrIsamInit
    esent!ErrInit
    esent!ErrInitComplete
    esent!JetInitEx
    esent!JetInit2
    esent!JetInit
    P2PGraph!CPeerDatabase::Open
    P2PGraph!CPeerGraph::Open
    P2PGraph!PeerGraphOpen
    p2psvc!CSecureGroup::OpenGroup
    p2psvc!SecOpenGroup
    p2psvc!CPeerGroup::Open
    p2psvc!CGroupManager::HandleOpenOrJoin
    p2psvc!CGroupManager::OpenGroup
    p2psvc!_PeerGroupOpenRpc
    rpcrt4!Invoke
    rpcrt4!NdrStubCall2
    rpcrt4!NdrServerCall2
    rpcrt4!DispatchToStubInCNoAvrf
    rpcrt4!RPC_INTERFACE::DispatchToStubWorker

So it there is an issue opening the Homegroup database settings and so the ESENT engine fails and calls an ASSERT (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9sb57dw4%28v=vs.100%29.aspx ) which trigger the Jit popup.

Can you leave the homegroup and join again with a new password? Also run chkdsk C: /r /f to detect file system issues which may cause the failure.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by KLawson419 Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:04 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:44 AM

All replies

• First, let's run System File checker to see if you have any corrupted system files.

Click Start
    Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
    Click 'Run as Administrator'
    At the Command Prompt, type: sfc /scannow

This will check for any integrity violations and fix any corrupted operating system files.

Restart your system.

Now run chkdsk:
    1. Disable any security software before attempting to upgrade or do a clean install.
    2. Make sure your computer is updated (devices and applications)
    3. Disconnect any external devices before installing.
    4. Check your hard disk for any errors:
    Click Start
    Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
    Click 'Run as Administrator'
    At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f
    When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

Please reply back with an update on your status.

Marilyn
    Monday, January 02, 2012 12:04 AM
  • I ran the SFC command with NO integrity violations found.  I ran CHKDSK per your instructions and it completed without any issues reported.  System rebooted properly.  Just to summarize, when the system acted up, I was able to run CHKDSK on the drive containing Windows Developer Preview after going back to a previous system restore.  Errors were reported and corrected at that time - some free space was marked as allocated.  The only issue now, which may not be related, is a pop-up after a reboot stating "Unhandled WIN32 exception occurred in SVCHOST.EXE" (some number - the last was 3920).  This is being captured by Visual Studio Just in Time Debugger.
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:20 PM
  • please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/LocalDumps.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it.

When an application crashes (like svchost.exe), Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the dump (zip it first) to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here. I take a look at the dump with the Debugger, maybe I can see the cause.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:34 PM
  • Andre,

I downloaded the Registry entry and successfully applied the update.  SVCHOST.EXE continues to be trapped by Visual Studio where I cancel debugging but I have not found a dump file at the location specified - c:\Localdumps.  Is the Just In Time Debugger interfering with this method?

Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:14 PM
  • can you please attach a picture?

Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Friday, January 06, 2012 5:44 AM
  • hmm, add SVCHOST.EXE to the exclusion list in the registry under :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\AutoExclusionList

Does WER now generate dumps and prevent the dialog?

Monday, January 09, 2012 9:39 PM
  • I've added SVCHOST.EXE to the registry entry mentioned above but I still have not seen a dump file being created.  I will research turning off the Just-In-Time debugger in Visual Studio version 11 beta.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 4:31 AM
  • what is your setting of Debugger under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug
    ?

Friday, January 13, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Earlier today, I turned off the JIT Visual Studio Debugger in Visual Studio 11.  Here is a screenshot of the current registry values:

• Edited by KLawson419 Friday, January 13, 2012 8:55 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:54 PM
  • do you now get dumps when JIT is disabled? I have the same entry under Windows 7 and I get dumps.

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:01 PM
  • I just performed a restart and received the following error when I clicked on the desktop from the Metro App tiles.

I did NOT find a dump file or directory for dumpfiles at c:\....

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:18 PM
  • try to delete the Debugger entry in the registry. Also check that the WER service is running.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:19 PM
  • I have not deleted the registry entry but did find that the reporting service was turned off.  It was enabled to run automatically (delayed start) from the Services Control Panel.  Will report the outcome as soon as the next occurrence takes place.
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Have you got new errors? Did you now get dumps?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:05 PM
  • After starting WER, no dump files were generated.  I removed the DEBUGGER entry from the registry but the system became very slow and unresponsive.  No known SVCHOST errors occurred and no dump files were generated. Examining SYSTEM events showed over 70,000 Event 26, Application Popup - whatever that means. I used Visual Studio to repair the JIT debugging.  System is now responding correctly.  An SVCHOST exception occurred almost immediately but no dump files.  There are now SYSTEM events 7031 and 7032 from the Service Control Manager.  Don't know if this is related or not.  Timestamp is approximately the when the exception was reported.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:23 PM
  • When the failure occurred just a few minutes ago, I captured some additional information via Process Explorer.  The PID that failed was 4616.  The services supported by the SVCHOST process were: 1) p2psvc - Peer Networking Grouping; 2) pnrpsvc - Peer Name Resolution Protocol; and 3) p2pimsvc - Peer Networking Identity Manager. The following is a screen shot from the Process Explorer:

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:14 PM
  • right click on the crashing svchost.exe in ProcExp and create a dump there and provide this dump.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Friday, January 20, 2012 3:05 AM
  • ok, I see this:

ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
    ntdll!NtWaitForSingleObject
    KERNELBASE!WaitForSingleObjectEx
    esent!UserDebugBreakPoint
    esent!AssertFail
    esent!LOG::ErrLGRIPpibFromProcid
    esent!LOG::ErrLGRIRedoOperation
    esent!LOG::ErrLGRIRedoOperations
    esent!LOG::ErrLGRRedo
    esent!memset
    esent!ErrIsamInit
    esent!ErrInit
    esent!ErrInitComplete
    esent!JetInitEx
    esent!JetInit2
    esent!JetInit
    P2PGraph!CPeerDatabase::Open
    P2PGraph!CPeerGraph::Open
    P2PGraph!PeerGraphOpen
    p2psvc!CSecureGroup::OpenGroup
    p2psvc!SecOpenGroup
    p2psvc!CPeerGroup::Open
    p2psvc!CGroupManager::HandleOpenOrJoin
    p2psvc!CGroupManager::OpenGroup
    p2psvc!_PeerGroupOpenRpc
    rpcrt4!Invoke
    rpcrt4!NdrStubCall2
    rpcrt4!NdrServerCall2
    rpcrt4!DispatchToStubInCNoAvrf
    rpcrt4!RPC_INTERFACE::DispatchToStubWorker

So it there is an issue opening the Homegroup database settings and so the ESENT engine fails and calls an ASSERT (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9sb57dw4%28v=vs.100%29.aspx ) which trigger the Jit popup.

Can you leave the homegroup and join again with a new password? Also run chkdsk C: /r /f to detect file system issues which may cause the failure.

• Marked as answer by KLawson419 Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:04 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:44 AM
  • I left the homegroup and re-created as suggested.  I re-ran the sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r /f and found no additional errors.  These actions were taken on 1/20.  There have been no further failures of SVCHOST and I have restarted several times.  Thank you for your assistance!
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:07 PM
  •  Thank you for your assistance!
    You're welcome :)

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:21 PM