My GAC isn't displaying as you'd expect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm running Windows XP SP3.

When I navigate to c:\windows\assembly I would normally expect to see a list of all the assemblies, versions and keys of things in the Global Asssembly Cache.

Instead, I see a very ordinary windows folder, containing:

GAC (directory)
    GAC_32 (directory)
    GAC_MSIL (directory)
    NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32 (directory)
    tmp (directory)
    temp (directory)
    PublisherPolicy.tme (hidden file)
    pubpol3.dat (hidden file)
    Desktop.ini (hidden file)

I don't want that!

How can I get back to the friendly normal GAC UI please?

Many thanks

Ben
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:42 PM

All replies

• It happened with me sometime back too.. It happens due to some blocking call from a process. I used to restart or reset IIS(in my case).

Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Thank you for your interest, Muhd-Ahsan,
    I appreciate it, but resetting IIS has not made a difference.

Any other ideas, anybody?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:50 AM
  • Try this.. Restart you machine and after that check your GAC folder.. If you see your assemblies then it is obvious that some of your tools is blocking the folder. In this case try also disabling indexing service..
    Friday, March 12, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Thank you very much for your idea. Unfortunately, my indexing service was already disabled, so it's not that.
    My friend and I have been investigating and we have a slightly better, the still very vague, understanding of the problem.

Apparently there's a DLL called SHFusion.dll, which ought to override the normal behaviour of Windows Explorer in order to display the contents as a list. There's also a desktop.ini file in the GAC folder which contains the class ID of that SHFusion.dll. My friend's computer has lots of registry entries to do with finding the DLL, but my registry doesn't.

I would guess something's not installed correctly and so even though I have the SHFusion DLL, it hasn't been wired up properly or something.

Still no luck fixing it though. At the moment I'm just using the GAC Viewer in Microsoft Management Console, which seems to be working OK, but it's frustrating that I can't make it work at "C:\Windows\Assembly".
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:37 PM