none
MySQL in C# problem RRS feed

• Question

• i whant the user to created a acc on my database using a textbox but i have no idea how to make it work, this is what i got, what im doing wrong? whats way you can make the textbox get info and store it on the database?

this is what i got:

cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO Account (LoginName) VALUES ("+textBox1.Text+")";

it compiles but when i use it i get this error:

MySQL exeption was unhandled:
    Column count doesn't  match  value  count at row 1

thx for help in advance.
    Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:07 PM

Answers

• The problem is in the SQL syntax you are using.  Also I believe that textBox1.Text may be empty.

To insert a string you need to use the single-quote character before and after your string. 

However, I should also point out that the method of executing queries that you are using is vulnerable to SQL-injection.  A brief example is if the user were to enter this text into your textbox, you would have a rough day:  "newuser'); DROP TABLE Account  --"

You need to use Parameterized Queries.

Change your code to this:

Code Snippet

cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO Account (LoginName) VALUES (@loginName)";

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@loginName", Server.HtmlEncode(textBox1.Text.Trim());

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:09 AM

All replies

• The problem is in the SQL syntax you are using.  Also I believe that textBox1.Text may be empty.

To insert a string you need to use the single-quote character before and after your string. 

However, I should also point out that the method of executing queries that you are using is vulnerable to SQL-injection.  A brief example is if the user were to enter this text into your textbox, you would have a rough day:  "newuser'); DROP TABLE Account  --"

You need to use Parameterized Queries.

Change your code to this:

Code Snippet

cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO Account (LoginName) VALUES (@loginName)";

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@loginName", Server.HtmlEncode(textBox1.Text.Trim());

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:09 AM
  • thx alot that fix the prob.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 12:54 AM