Universal Windows apps for tablets only

Question

• Is it possible to create a universal Windows app for tablets only? I don't need to create an app for Windows Phone 8.1.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:18 PM

Answers

• Technically yes. Philosophically no. :)

You can create a Windows Store app without associating it with a Windows Phone app. The code will be the same as if you created a Universal app, but if you only build the single target then it's not really "Universal".

--Rob

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:46 PM
    Owner
  • Again with the philosophy. You cannot run a Windows app on an Android tablets, but there are cross platform solutions such as PhoneGap and Xamarin which can build apps that target both platforms from the same source.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by m.findlay93 Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:28 PM
    Owner

All replies

• You can do that. However, it won't make sense. Usually, you start with a universal app with one platform (in your case Windows tablet), if you think in future you would like to build app for another platform (Windows Phone 8.1).
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Technically yes. Philosophically no. :)

You can create a Windows Store app without associating it with a Windows Phone app. The code will be the same as if you created a Universal app, but if you only build the single target then it's not really "Universal".

--Rob

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:46 PM
    Owner
  • OK cool. Is it possible to build a Windows app that would run on Android tablets?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:01 PM
  • I am not sure about that since I am only developing for Windows Phone 8.1 as of now.

Check what Xamarin has got to offer you.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:07 PM
  • Again with the philosophy. You cannot run a Windows app on an Android tablets, but there are cross platform solutions such as PhoneGap and Xamarin which can build apps that target both platforms from the same source.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by m.findlay93 Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:28 PM
    Owner