Videogames metro overlay conflict.

General discussion

• Hi i have tried some videogames on windows developer preview and they normally run well except for the fact that if you with the mouse in bottom left corner then Metro UI appears reducing the application to icon. For some games like Red Orchestra 2 you have to click in that area to make Metro to appear instead in Shogun 2 for example if you go in that area with the mouse even without clicking the game goes to window making impossible to play.

Is there a way to keep the Metro overlay while a full screen application is running? Thanks in advance for help.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:38 PM

All replies

• Yeah, you can try running the application from the standard desktop.
    If this doesn't work, bring out the "big guns" and disable Metro UI while gaming:
    http://it-ca.net/blogdylan/?p=194

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:35 PM
  • What do you mean for running the application from standard desktop? I runned the games from a desktop icon (Stardock dockbar to be accurate) and they are all Steam games. How do add an icon to Metro interface? Maybe it can work the other way around.

I won't disable Metro UI otherwise i can simply use windows 7.

• Edited by Joxer86 Friday, September 23, 2011 5:18 AM add
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:15 AM
  • When you are ingame, you don't notice that you are using windows8 do you?
    Might aswell just turn off Windows8 when gaming, and afterwards turn it back on.

Also, I haven't found a way yet to add steam games to the Metro UI, looked for that myself.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:25 AM
  • I have this problem in Crysis 2. When playing I can hover the mouse in the bottom left corner with no problems but if I happen to click the lmb/rmb then the game is minimized and I get taken to the desktop. The switching behaviour is fine, switching is fast & I can get back into the game instantly but in a game like Crysis 2 MP by then you are likely dead.

Editing the registry every time you want to play a game is not a good solution. For the Beta I hope there is a solution that disables the Metro overlay during fullscreen gaming.

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:17 AM