none
Configure the project-long 'PM Overhead' as non-critical task so I can see the individual critical path tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Project Pro 2003:  I have a 'PM Overhead' task that extends for the full duration of the project and therefore becomes identified as a critical path item. This 'masks' individual project tasks that I woudl like to identify as being on the critical path. Is there any way (creative or otherwise) to make this PM Overhead task a non-critical path task so I can view other tasks which are on the critical path?

Thanks
    Jonathan

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In that case, link the final "real" task to the end milestone with a sufficient lag to make it critical.

Remember there is no way to "make a task not critical", you can't stop Project from calculating. So you have to force a different critical path.

Greetings,

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan,

Shorten the duration by one day, then it will no longer be critical.

Greetings,

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Tried that, but no luck.  Other than a 'Project Closure' milestone (Oct 31) which occurs ahead of the PM Overhead Finish date (Oct 28), there are at this early stage, not many tasks extending up to the Project Closure milestone and which are linked, dependency-wise to that milestone.  Any other thoughts, perhaps?

Jonathan Glaser
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

In that case, link the final "real" task to the end milestone with a sufficient lag to make it critical.

Remember there is no way to "make a task not critical", you can't stop Project from calculating. So you have to force a different critical path.

Greetings,

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:11 PM