none
Excel: addFromPromptAsync() - Get cell reference instead of the value of the cell reference. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a way, when calling addFromPromptAsync() to programmatically get the cell reference (eg: "Sheet1!D21") that the user selects, instead of getting the value of that particular cell?

From what I can see - If I want to track changes in the cell value, I will have to make use of the data changed event on the particular binding, and I won't actually be able to use the cell reference itself - is this understanding correct?

Thanks,

Matt

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>> If I want to track changes in the cell value, I will have to make use of the data changed event on the particular binding, and I won't actually be able to use the cell reference itself - is this understanding correct?<<

Yes, you are right.

In Apps for Office development, the Bindings.addFromPromptAsync method displays UI that enables the user to specify a selection to bind to. We cannot call addFromPromptAsync() with cell references instead of selection. In addition, there is no method or property to access to the specific Cell reference in Apps for Office, since Apps for Office is good at interaction with Internet rather than operation of Excel Object Model.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by MatthewSmythe Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> If I want to track changes in the cell value, I will have to make use of the data changed event on the particular binding, and I won't actually be able to use the cell reference itself - is this understanding correct?<<

Yes, you are right.

In Apps for Office development, the Bindings.addFromPromptAsync method displays UI that enables the user to specify a selection to bind to. We cannot call addFromPromptAsync() with cell references instead of selection. In addition, there is no method or property to access to the specific Cell reference in Apps for Office, since Apps for Office is good at interaction with Internet rather than operation of Excel Object Model.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by MatthewSmythe Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Hi Luna,

Thanks for the feedback. I've managed to come right with the data changed events and keeping track of the bindings which the user assigns.

Best regards,

Matt

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:14 AM