none
SMS from Outlook 15 RRS feed

• Question

• I see that OMS (Office Mobile Service) support is being eliminated in Outlook 15. What is the preferred approach going forward for sending/receiving SMS text messages within Outlook?
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 4:36 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately there's no replacement for Outlook Mobile service in Outlook 2013. The only solution would be to check with a third party to see if they have an addin that will provide this functionality.

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I try to consult this question internally, please wait some time.

thanks.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Unfortunately there's no replacement for Outlook Mobile service in Outlook 2013. The only solution would be to check with a third party to see if they have an addin that will provide this functionality.

thanks.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Forrest, thanks for the reply. Do you know why OMS was dropped?
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Sorry, I don't have such information to share.

thanks.

Friday, August 10, 2012 1:58 AM
  • It really doesn't sound good. SMS is a very powerful and useful feature in Outlook.

Miles *_*

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:30 PM
  • I agree... just noticed that OMS has been dropped.  The account config was still available in the accounts settings, but of course the account doesn't work.

OMS is a very powerful feature especially when used from a tablet ... imagine wanting to send a text to a mobile device from a tablet... the form factors and user experience are suited to each other.

It's also perfect for using within the O2013 desktop client - very fast to send long texts.

Please reconsider putting it back in O2013. Thanks.

• Edited by kkckkc Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:58 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:57 AM
  • I agree - you really should consider putting SMS Support back in O2013.

Thanks

Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Such a bummer :( was a very usefull feature
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Hi there is skype which is fantastic for mobile messaging

and which became part of Microsoft :)

read this article 

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/16/microsoft-skype-office/

Please mark this as answer if it helps.
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft Certified Professional Developer
    Blog: http://www.EnterpriseApplicationsDevelopment.com/

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:02 AM
  • The bad news is that OMS support no longer exists in Outlook 2013. However, Outlook.MobileItem and the IPM.Note.Mobile.SMS message class do appear to be supported. This means that Outlook still knows what an SMS is in terms of how it is displayed. So for SMS texting capability within Outlook, you need to create a custom add-in that subclasses IPM.Note.Mobile.SMS and contacts your SMS aggregator to do the sending. You'll also need a service to receive inbound messages and then send them as SMTP back to the user's inbox with the legacy OMS headers (info here). This is no easy feat. Your best bet may be to check with your SMS provider to see if they will provide OMS-like solutions for Outlook 2013 and beyond, or search for third-party tools to deliver this functionality. It's unfortunate but that's the position Microsoft has put us in.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:08 PM
  • This is highly disappointing, and I'm beyond myself that microsoft would take this route. I've used SMS support reliably for years and I can't begin to mention how helpful it's been with regard to organizing my daily schedule.

Microsoft:

This absolutely MUST be re-integrated into 2013. As another poster mentioned, the framework still exists. It should not be complicated at all to restore this feature.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hello Microsoft

Why is this function gone ? Unbelievable. Please re-integrate the function !

Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Thanks. I agree that the SMS feature in Outlook is extremely important and I have just purchased a bulk of texts for this reason.

I saw that SharePoint is using mobile messaging ... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff606754(v=office.15).aspx

Dear Microsoft, can you pleas advise of a suitable replacement for this service as it was getting better over the years.

Skype texts are good but having another supplier was better as the replies were e-mailed back and so easy to put along side related e-mails or in calendar appointments... SMS Officer was good and I have asked them to look into this Outloo 2013 issue for a fix if they can.

Thanks

Peter

Yours from Peter @ simplicity.je JERSEY

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:58 PM
  • unfortunately this is the thing that prevents us from upgrading. we have software assurance so we COULD upgrade but we just don't do it because of that feature. I hate sms, but I need it because there are still a lot people from other companies using this old school messaging. so for us there is no way upgrading now. it's a shame Microsoft became that incompatible to the real world.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:13 PM
  • I agree.  Why would MS drop such a meaningful feature.  Where were the Beta testers na dthe Focus group?
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:33 AM
  • According to MS this has been removed due to low usage. How the heck do they know if it is used or not? I have been using this feature ever since it came (and before that with third party plugin from Office 97). I use it every day!
    Monday, March 25, 2013 9:27 AM
  • To be honest, I stopped using Windows mobile at 6.5. I started using Android and sending SMS from my PC using MyPhoneExplorer (USB connected). I recently got a Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 620). Not having the abiliy to send SMS from my laptop is a pain.

At the moment, I send myself an email, when the email syncs on my phone, I copy the text from the email and paste it in to an SMS message, then sent it. Heavens alive - that is so painful.

The reason Microsoft has no record of people using that feature is twofold. Microsoft do not let people know they have a great, useful feature and there are only 10 Windows phones being used in the world ;-)

• Edited by SjanUK Friday, July 12, 2013 12:40 PM Added comment
    Friday, July 12, 2013 12:37 PM
  • i just want to say this is bad. And add my voice to those that want OMS back.
    Friday, August 9, 2013 4:55 AM
  • I wonder how much the third party companies party Microsoft - you can get this from a third party or apparently run Office 2010 on the same machine (just not at the same time) per the people at Office365
    Friday, August 9, 2013 11:35 PM
  • any solution for this?some one found third party?
    Monday, September 23, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Our company is rolling back to Outlook 2010 today, specifically to maintain support for this feature.  Our tech guy is NOT HAPPY.  Frustratingly, more and more people are opting for txts now over email due to convenience on their hand held device/mobile phone.  I can only see the need for maintaining OMS increasing, not diminishing.  Microsoft - Please Reconsider.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:07 AM
  • Yes! Finally. I was using Outlook Mobile Service in Outlook 2010. It stopped working when I updated to Office 2013. But it was just updated this week: http://redoxygen.com/outlook-mobile-2013/
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:37 PM
  • Hi,

do you work at redoxygen.com?

do you sell the componenet for  oms 2013 ?

Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:52 AM
  • She doesn't. But I do. Yes, Red Oxygen just released an add-in for Microsoft Outlook 2013, which enables users to send text messages from it, just like they were able to do with Outlook 2010. The add-in is called Office SMS and it's available to download at http://redoxygen.com/outlook-mobile-2013/ .

Many fans of Outlook Mobile Service were disappointed when Outlook 2013 was released and they found out that OMS had been removed, leaving them high and dry. For a while, there hasn't been a solution. Now there is! Red Oxygen is the sole global company offering a solution to your problem.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:46 AM
  • yes i saw it, but then you need to use there services.

i am looking to buy such component to my own use without using Red Oxygen services.

Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:53 AM
  • You can also use some of Email2Sms providers. 

In this case you can use email adressed like 48xxxxxxxxx@mail.hostedms.pl for sending smses to 48xxxxxxxxx

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Did you end up finding a replacement for this?
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:37 PM