Migrate SQL from one server to 2 node Always On availability group RRS feed

• Question

• Hello .

I need to migrate all DBs from one server to new 2 node Always On availability group.

The main issue is the applications that talking with the DBs. 

I want to know what is the right way to cope with this procedure.

Is the best way is to migrate one DB at a time and to cope with application that access to this DB.

Or i do a huge maintenance time , migrate all DBs and create alias that will aim to the Cluster name.

• Edited by Kruto Tuesday, June 16, 2020 7:04 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2020 7:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Kruto,

I would recommend migrating one database at a time.

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Kruto Monday, June 22, 2020 5:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Kruto,

For this migration, you may first need to migrate the database to the nodes in this windows failover cluster, and then configure an availability group containing the required database between the nodes.

To avoid spending a lot of time backing up and restoring the database for initial data synchronization when configuring the Always On availability group, you can restore the database on all replica in advance,not only on the primary replica.

Migrating databases in turn can reduce maintenance time.

I think that after migrating the first database, you can configure the Always On availability group and create a Listener to allow the application to access the primary replica.For other databases, you can migrate and add them to the availability group in sequence.

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 3:32 AM
  • Thank you Cris.

What i wanted to know what is the best practice for such cases , when you migrating from 1 stand alone server to always one cluster.

To move all DBs and preserve the old name(of the stand alone server) or to do a migration one db at time .

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 6:58 AM
  • Hi Kruto,

I would recommend migrating one database at a time.

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Kruto Monday, June 22, 2020 5:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 7:11 AM
  • Hi Kruto,

Is there any update on this case?Was your issue resolved?

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support

Monday, June 22, 2020 1:09 AM
  • Thank You Cris.

We didn't decided which way to do the migration yet.

• Edited by Kruto Monday, June 22, 2020 5:51 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2020 5:50 AM