none
Can more than one DataSet from a Data Source Object be used in one ReportViewer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is it possible to use more than one dataset in a single ReportViewer, when the DataSets are created using a Classes to make Data Objects? I can make one work but, when I add a second, I get a lot of errors and the application won't even run in debug. I am not using SQL datasets. I am using Classes with Imports System.Collections.Generic for the datasets.

This is the error message:

The Value expression for the text box ‘Textbox5’ refers to the field ‘ClcNo’. Report item expressions can only refer to fields within the current dataset scope or, if inside an aggregate, the specified dataset scope.

Thank you,

Dan

Dan

Sunday, March 10, 2013 2:13 AM

All replies

• I don't think you can assign multiple datasets, but each dataset can contain multiple datatables. If you have multiple datasets you can merge/copy the tables into one dataset.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.dataset.merge.aspx

Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hello Steven,

I don't think this would address my issue. I think I would just end up with a single list of hundreds of fields in alphabetical order in the Report Data pane of the GUI. I have created multiple datasets each of which is created from a Class, so that I can organize the field in the report viewer pane. I will have a very long list of fields in the Report Data pane (each one representing a variable determined at run time) available to drag onto the MS ReportViewer report and they will be in alphabetical order, which has no relatiionship to there use on the Report. All I want to do is break them up into groups in the list so that I can organize my data according to the order in which I will drag and drop the fields onto the ReportViewer Report at design time. For this reason, I created classes, each of which contains a group of variables, and I need to use all of them.

One class would work fine, if I could just create sub-folders or something to organize the fields.

Do you have any suggestions for doing this?

Thank you,

Dan

Dan

Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:57 PM