Helpful for C++ developers: Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS ,and JavaScript, a free ebook from Microsoft Press

General discussion

• While I've primarily announced the availability of this free ebook from Microsoft Press on the HTML/JavaScript forum, I also wanted to let everyone here working with C++  know about it as well, because half or more of the book is focused on WinRT and other Windows 8 features that aren't specific to a language or presentation layer (even though the code is mostly in JS). For example, Chapter 16 on WinRT components delves into components with async methods in C# and C++; Chapter 13 demonstrates how to write web services for periodic updates and push notifications using ASP.NET. Other chapters cover state, files, sensors, media, contracts, globalization, and the Windows Store.

As an internal Microsoft author, one of my goals in writing this book was also to draw out the insights and deep knowledge of the platform from the Windows 8 engineering teams themselves.

So while the book does have lots of HTML/JS-specific material, the fact that it's completely free makes it no risk to you, and I think you'll find it helpful. :)

See the blog post at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2012/10/29/free-ebook-programming-windows-8-apps-with-html-css-and-javascript.aspx for all the details.

.Kraig

Monday, November 19, 2012 9:39 PM