Visual Studio 2015 Profiler (vsperf.exe) does NOT work without admin rights RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Visual Studio 2015, and I'm using a user account WITHOUT admin rights - but when I try to start the profiler (vsPerf.exe or vsStandardCollector.exe) through the Visual Studios menu (Analyze --> Performance and Diagnostics menu) it requires admin rights and prompts for admin user to enter user and password.

I have followed Microsofts own description "How to: Set Permissions" (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj662724.aspx) but without luck - it still prompts for admin user.

Can anyone help me on how to run the Profiler through Visual Studio, using a user account without admin rights?

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Ramsdal,

If so, my understanding is that it would be related to your access account, you need to discuss this issue with the admin who install the VS in your windows, at least, let him share you the enough account to use the VS IDE. In addition, please also make sure that it is not related to the UAC.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Ramsdal,

Like this document here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182372.aspx

To use the Profiler tool in VS2015, if you are not an administrator on the computer that you are using, you should run Visual Studio as an administrator while you are using the profiler. (Right-click the Visual Studio application icon, and then click Run as administrator).

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:45 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately this does not work :(

If I choose "Run as administrator" it immeditaly prompts for administrator username and password, which I dont have.

I am not a local administrator on my machine - only a standard user (the local administrator-user is controlled/blocked by our network administrator). So if I use "Run as administrator", or if I just start the Profiler, I will be prompted for a administrator to log in.

Any solutions?

Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:51 AM
  • Hi Ramsdal,

If so, my understanding is that it would be related to your access account, you need to discuss this issue with the admin who install the VS in your windows, at least, let him share you the enough account to use the VS IDE. In addition, please also make sure that it is not related to the UAC.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:22 AM
  • All developers should be local administrators on their development machine. Your IT admin is taking the easy way out by limiting you to a regular user - s/he should either give you local admin or create a group with appropriate privilege to develop software efficiently.
    Monday, April 16, 2018 4:35 PM