how to use RenderTargetBitmap in windows store 8 app?

General discussion

• I am unable to find RenderTargetBitmap class in windows store 8 app development. if it's not there can i save canvas as image by using WriteableBitmap.

Regards,

Pankaj Kumar Verma

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:31 AM

All replies

• If I read the introduction to this article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20648.using-the-rendertargetbitmap-in-windows-store-apps-with-xaml-and-c.aspx correctly the RenderTargetBitmap class became only available in Windows 8.1. Is there a specific reason for targeting the Windows 8 baseline given that Windows 8.1 is a free update for users of 8.0?

Rendering to a WriteableBitmap to my knowledge is only available in Silverlight.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:53 AM
  • Correct. RenderTargetBitmap is new to Windows 8.1. There is no direct way to render the visual tree in Windows 8. I believe there is a third party toolkit (either WriteableBitmapEx or WinRTToolkit) which will parse the visual tree and render each element on its own, but I don't know how complete that implementation is. You might give it a try to see if it meets your needs.

Or upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 2:46 PM
    Owner