Storyboard animation with PlaneProjection does not work on Windows 8.1

Question

• Hi I am trying to get a simple page flip animation working using Storyboard and Plane Projection. Am on Visual Studio 2013, Windows 8.1

Below is the code for the Story board animation

<Page.Resources>
            <Storyboard x:Name="myStoryboard" >

<DoubleAnimation
                  Storyboard.TargetName= "RightPageImageOverlay"
                  Storyboard.TargetProperty="(UIElement.Projection).(PlaneProjection.RotationY)"
                  EnableDependentAnimation="True"
                  From="0" To="90" Duration="0:0:10">
                </DoubleAnimation>

</Storyboard>

</Page.Resources>

Here is the code for the Image view :

<Image x:Name="RightPageImageOverlay"    Source="http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1351/photocop.jpg" ManipulationMode ="All"    Tapped="RightPageImageOverlay_Tapped" >
                <Image.Projection >
                    <PlaneProjection   CenterOfRotationX="0" />
                </Image.Projection>

</Image>

This is the code that triggers the animation on tap :

private void RightPageImageOverlay_Tapped(object sender, TappedRoutedEventArgs e)
            {
                 myStoryboard2.Begin();
            }

The problem is the animation is not visible. It takes place in the background but the screen doesn't refresh to show the animation. The screen only updates at the end of the animation. If you alt-tab away from the window and then back during the animation timeline suddenly the animation  becomes visible. You can compile the code and see what i mean. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Edited by NidalR Friday, January 9, 2015 12:11 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 12:07 PM

Answers

• You're right, and we've seen a lot of issues similar to this using PlaneProjection. I'll file a bug on this.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, January 9, 2015 7:26 PM

All replies

• You're right, and we've seen a lot of issues similar to this using PlaneProjection. I'll file a bug on this.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, January 9, 2015 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the bug report. Plane projection does behave weirdly, which really would break functionality on my app.

Having fiddled around with it,  It seems the control being animated doesn't want to move away from 0 degrees. A temporary workaround  I have found is to change DoubleAnimation.From  to any value other than "0" - say "0.1".

Thanks again,

Nidal

• Edited by NidalR Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:06 AM