none
Add-In for Word 2010 - moving to Word 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Over the last 5 years, I have developed an extensive Word Add-in using Visual Studio 2010 that includes customized ribbons, task panes, web services function calls, and a wide variety of functionality.

My company is moving to Word 2016.
    I have not been able to install the new of Word yet so I have no idea what to expect.

Am I going to need to totally rebuild the Add In?
    Should I continue to use Vs 2010 or move to a newer version of Visual Studio?
    I can't seem to find much documentation.
    Any links or book suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

• Edited by Tim_Shaf Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:18 PM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim_Shaf,

you had mentioned that,"Looks like Add-ins for Word 2016 uses the 'Word JavaScript API' which is
    major change from the Vb code I have in my current Vs2010 Add-in. I can't find any information about Add-in's for Word 2016 that uses Vb code in the Add-in."

I think you have some miss understanding between VSTO Add in and Office Addin.

Office 2016 supports both type of Addin.

in my last response , I was talking about VSTO Addin because you had posted the issue in VSTO forum.

first be clear , which type of addin you want to develop.

if you want do develop web based addin that can run on word online or you want to develop addin for cross platform then you can try to use JavaScript API.

but if you want to continue with VSTO then everything will be the same as older version.

just you need to work with the latest version.

below picture is from VS 2016. that I  use to develop addin for Office 2016.

you can see that you can able to develop both the type of Addin.

so you can continue your development using VB in VSTO.

Reference:

Getting Started Programming VSTO Add-ins

Get started with Office Add-ins (formerly Apps for Office)

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tim_Shaf Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:10 AM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim_Shaf,

so from your description , it looks like you are using Office 2010 and VS 2010.

your company is using Office 2016.

so the situation is like what you develop in 2010 version you want to run it in 2016 version.

generally the solution can run on multiple versions of Office, you just need to install Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime on targeted machine.

you can try to visit link below to get detailed information.

Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:19 AM
  • Deepak,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My company has not moved to Office 2016 yet, but will be in the near future.
    I am trying to get a test machine setup so I can start testing it.

I am trying to get some idea on the impact on the Add-in functionality.
    It will affect several hundred users.

Looks like Add-ins for Word 2016 uses the 'Word JavaScript API' which is
    major change from the Vb code I have in my current Vs2010 Add-in.
    I can't find any information about Add-in's for Word 2016 that uses Vb code
    in the Add-in.

From you response, it sounds like all I need to do in ensure the 'Visual Studio 2010 Tools
    for Office Runtime' is installed on all my users machines. Is this correct?

I am also using ClickOnce technology to install and update my Add-in.
    I haven't found any info if ClickOnce will work with Word 2016.
    Do you know if ClickOnce will work with Word 2016?

Thanks

Tim

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 1:38 PM
  • Hi Tim_Shaf,

you had mentioned that,"Looks like Add-ins for Word 2016 uses the 'Word JavaScript API' which is
    major change from the Vb code I have in my current Vs2010 Add-in. I can't find any information about Add-in's for Word 2016 that uses Vb code in the Add-in."

I think you have some miss understanding between VSTO Add in and Office Addin.

Office 2016 supports both type of Addin.

in my last response , I was talking about VSTO Addin because you had posted the issue in VSTO forum.

first be clear , which type of addin you want to develop.

if you want do develop web based addin that can run on word online or you want to develop addin for cross platform then you can try to use JavaScript API.

but if you want to continue with VSTO then everything will be the same as older version.

just you need to work with the latest version.

below picture is from VS 2016. that I  use to develop addin for Office 2016.

you can see that you can able to develop both the type of Addin.

so you can continue your development using VB in VSTO.

Reference:

Getting Started Programming VSTO Add-ins

Get started with Office Add-ins (formerly Apps for Office)

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Tim_Shaf Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:10 AM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Deepak,

You are correct. I was confusing the 'Web Add-Ins' with the 'VSTO Add-Ins.'

Thanks

Tim

Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:13 AM