none
SQL server instance name VS Windows server name.

Question

• Is there any benefit to naming the SQL instance name the same name as the Windows server that will be hosting it?  I am getting push back from a non DBA that is saying there is a benefit to naming identical.  I am still a novice, but I believe they should be completely separate. The Windows server name should accurately describe the server environment and use.  While the SQL Server instance should reflect what it will be housing and used for.

Please help and provide any thoughts or insight you may have.

Thank you for you help and opinions!

mmbanken

Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:04 PM

All replies

• There is no technical benefit to using any instance name.  It is simply a name used to reference the instance on the server.

It may be easier for a human to remember if you name an instance the same name as the servername.  But what do you do if you have multiple instances and why not just do a default instance at that point?

Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Hello,

Using a SQL instance name you need by default to enable SQL Server Browser service for the instance to be discovered by applications since named instances use dynamic ports. This also means you need to configure firewalls to allow traffic on port 1434 protocol UDP.

For a SQL Server named as the computer you don’t need to enable SQL Server Browser service and do not need extra configuration on firewalls just the port TCP 1433.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:09 PM
  • There is no technical reason to create an INSTANCE name of SERVERNAME.   Then when you connect, you would use SERVERNAME/SERVERNAME.

If you only want to use SERVERNAME, that is a "default" instance, no instance name.  You connect using SERVERNAME only.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:15 PM
  • My guess is he must be having some script and to avoid manual entry he is just trying to keep name same( just a guess) there should not be any advantage apart from some management advantages

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:25 PM