Is Design going to collect all the features from the old Expression someday? RRS feed

• Question

• I am truly amazed with Creative house Expression and with a fact I know nothing about it before. It's probably the best vector tool I have ever experienced. But the lack of an easy Photoshop interchanging , pixel snapping and a few other things that already realized in Design make me asking a question. Why Design is so crippled?

Creative house Expression has a few absolutely fantastic tools like soft fringe, variable width and colorize palettes. When I try to open a Creative Expression file in Design it says I can recreate those effects with other tools. But it’s not true. It’s either not possible or just takes too much efforts.

Is there any hope we will see those three things ( fringe, colorize and variable width) in Design someday?

ps. I would pay the price of Illustrator for a kind of program that would combine all  the old Expression features with the new Design interface and other improvements. I hate Illustrator and already do not expect anything from Adobe.   Please Microsoft,  make a good program for us. You already own so amazingly  beautiful hiden treasure.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:31 PM

All replies

• Probably not, because Design it a complete rewritten and new software compared to the Creature House version. I knew they said something about all the functions could not be implemented in Design. This is however a mild excuse, as anyone with some experience in designing/reeginering software know that this is an easy task.

Design was designed to meet the needs in Expression Studio, but with lesser functionality for art and drawing. They really had something with Expression Graphic Designer....

Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:29 AM
  • I agree.  The last Creature House version was/is excellent and Expression Graphic Designer (Acrylic-circa Sept) was well on the way to becoming even better.   I have ED1 and ED2 and tried ED3; the current Expression Design is disappointing in many ways, even some of the basic parts like 'Strokes creation' have yet to be fixed.  Sadly, it appears that Expression Design has even become a lesser member of the Expression Studio package. 
    ~Fred
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Hi Fred

I agree E3 is one of the best and I miss the acrylic times

apart from reflection maps it was such a nice program

I never understood why microsoft didn t sell it as a separate program

I still work in design 1 as I do not need webdesign and blend for the moment

I try programming from time to time using the express version of visual basic and our school works with the Adobe programs illustrator  photoshop  flash and dreamweaver 

greetings 

Sunday, March 28, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Yes, Graphic Designer... I took a look at the code back in 2006, and in case you don´t know, the application was actually named Expression 4. I can´t help thinking what it might have evolved into. And by the way, talking about missing software, LivingCels was a revolutionary animation software which had set new standards in the animation business - if polished and released. I know a few of the Disney-animators, and they were well aware of this application from Creature House. Too bad LC also was laid to rest. 

Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Count me in on EGD/E4 stunning potential for sure.

But!  Methinks that the now owner (MS) has probably made very good use of the stuff in E3/E4 and has probably re-bundled the 'missing' stuff elsewhere?

Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:29 PM