SSRS 2012 Email Subscriptions failing with AuthorizationExtensionException RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently copied an SSRS instance from SQL 2008 R2 to a new SQL 2012 instance. I performed a backup/restore on the report server DB and encryption key and have configured the service/execution accounts etc. I can run reports via report manager without incident and I can create new subscriptions the same way which run fine.

However, whenever one of the previously existing subscriptions (set up under R2) is due to run, it fails with the following error (I can post full stack trace if need be):

Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.AuthorizationExtensionException: An error occurred when invoking the authorization extension. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: SafeHandle cannot be null.ror occurred when invoking the authorization extension.

The suggestion seems to be that this is related to custom security components, but we don't have any. We do have a custom DLL installed for other purposes, but it isn't even being invoked when the subscriptions in question run, so it's highly unlikely it's that. CAS is configured for this DLL.

I'm really looking for suggestions on where to start looking to resolve this error, as I'm out of ideas on what to try!

• Edited by GShenanigan Monday, July 2, 2012 11:10 AM removed stack trace for now
    Monday, July 2, 2012 11:09 AM

Answers

• Hello GShenanigan,

Thank you to post your problem on TechNet forum.

From the error message, it is possible that the reporting service cannot authenticate the user who created the subscription. It is possible that the reporting service is running as "Local Service", but the author of the subscription is a domain user. It is possible that the subscription creator is a user on the original system, which has different UID on the machine, so that service cannot verify the users. In order to narrow down this issue, please try the following things.

• Run the reporting service as domain user account, so that we can eliminate the possible cause that the service account cannot verify the domain users.
    • If the subscription is created by the account on original machine, we suggest recreating the subscription on the current server.

If you have any problem, please tell us freely.

Regards,

Edward

Edward Zhu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Edward Zhu Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by GShenanigan Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hello GShenanigan,

Thank you to post your problem on TechNet forum.

From the error message, it is possible that the reporting service cannot authenticate the user who created the subscription. It is possible that the reporting service is running as "Local Service", but the author of the subscription is a domain user. It is possible that the subscription creator is a user on the original system, which has different UID on the machine, so that service cannot verify the users. In order to narrow down this issue, please try the following things.

• Run the reporting service as domain user account, so that we can eliminate the possible cause that the service account cannot verify the domain users.
    • If the subscription is created by the account on original machine, we suggest recreating the subscription on the current server.

If you have any problem, please tell us freely.

Regards,

Edward

Edward Zhu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Edward Zhu Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by GShenanigan Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:07 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:47 AM
  • Thanks Edward.  Yep, it looks like because the subscriptions were created by a local user account on the previous server, they're unable to run on the new one.  Once I updated the OwnerID and ModifiedByID fields on the Subscriptions table to point to one of the domain accounts configured on the new server, the subscriptions now work.

Thanks for the help!

• Edited by GShenanigan Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:19 AM more detail to resolution
    • Proposed as answer by Svante Gradén Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:04 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:07 AM