PowerPivot - Help with DatesBetween Function to Create Running Headcount Total RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create a measure that shows a running headcount total at any given time.  I created an [EmployeesAdded] Calculation that shows how many employees were added for each date.  Now, I'm trying to create a calculated value to show headcount at any given date based on the amount of employees added.  So, I tried the following formula:

HeadCount:=CALCULATE(COUNT([EmployeesAdded]),DATESBETWEEN([DateKey],FIRSTDATE(all([DateKey])),LASTDATE([DateKey])))

However, it keeps giving me the following error: 'Semantic Error - DatesBetween and DatesInPeriod functions are only accepting date column reference as a first argument.'  I'm confused as to why it gives me this error since [DateKey] is a date column reference.  I have also tried a [FullDate] column with the same results.  

Any help on helping me understand why I got this error, or help in figuring out how to calculate total cumulative headcount on any given date would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

EmployeesAdded:=CALCULATE(count('Original Date of Hire'[Original Date of hire])-count('Termination Data'[Last Day of Employment]))

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:23 PM

Answers

• Use FullDate and include the TableName with the column name.  In a calculated measure like this, you need to use fully-qualified column (TableName[ColumnName]) with the date functions as well as ALL.

Like this:

HeadCount:=CALCULATE(COUNT([EmployeesAdded])
    ,DATESBETWEEN(DimDate[FullDate]
    ,FIRSTDATE(ALL(DimDate[FullDate]))
    ,LASTDATE(DimDate[FullDate])
    )
    )

Let me know if that helps.

Brent Greenwood, MS, MCITP, CBIP
    // Please mark correct answers and helpful posts //
    http://brentgreenwood.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:19 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Dan Tip,

You try to use [FullDate] instead of [DateKey].

Regards,

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Use FullDate and include the TableName with the column name.  In a calculated measure like this, you need to use fully-qualified column (TableName[ColumnName]) with the date functions as well as ALL.

Like this:

HeadCount:=CALCULATE(COUNT([EmployeesAdded])
    ,DATESBETWEEN(DimDate[FullDate]
    ,FIRSTDATE(ALL(DimDate[FullDate]))
    ,LASTDATE(DimDate[FullDate])
    )
    )

Let me know if that helps.

Brent Greenwood, MS, MCITP, CBIP
    // Please mark correct answers and helpful posts //
    http://brentgreenwood.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:19 AM
    Answerer