One app, different package for Trial? RRS feed

• Question

• For one of my applications I will have a trial version, but that trial version has a limited amount of content compared with the full version.  When the user purchases I would like to download a completely different package, is that possible for one app?

...Stefan

Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:39 PM

Answers

• The last option for one app which comes to my mind is in-app purchase - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694067.aspx

If that doesn't meet your requirements you should provide two different apps (like in some other markets). That's not the best way, but it should do it.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Marked as answer by StefanOlson Monday, May 21, 2012 9:07 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 8:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

why you would do so? I think you can do it in one package, just decorate the appropriate code like described in the following article - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694065.aspx#Y2007

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Marked as answer by Jesse_F Monday, May 21, 2012 2:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by StefanOlson Monday, May 21, 2012 6:29 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Because I don't want people stealing my content, given that I'm not aware of a way to reasonably protect the content of a package.  So my theory is, and I'm open to changing that, is that I should have the minimal amount of content in the trial and then when the user purchases that it downloads a new package with the full content.

...Stefan

Monday, May 21, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Hello Stefan,

Please take a look at the page, Deciding how you offer your app. The page goes into detail explaining how you would package a trial version of your app. Also, it is a good idea to copyright your material if you have concerns about Intellectual Property theft. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jesse

• Proposed as answer by Jesse_F Monday, May 21, 2012 6:51 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by StefanOlson Monday, May 21, 2012 7:03 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Jesse,

Yes, I'm aware of those options, but they don't meet the needs that I have.  I'm trying to find out the best way to resolve the concerns that I do have.  Legal action after the horse has bolted is not something I want to deal with, I want to minimise the risk that the content gets taken in the first place.  Unfortunately appx packages are very insecure, but if I have different packages for trial and full then the risk is lower, and therefore I am trying to find a way to do that.

...Stefan

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:03 PM
  • The last option for one app which comes to my mind is in-app purchase - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694067.aspx

If that doesn't meet your requirements you should provide two different apps (like in some other markets). That's not the best way, but it should do it.

• Marked as answer by StefanOlson Monday, May 21, 2012 9:07 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Thanks, I had looked at in-app packages, but I can't change the contents of the package, which is what I really need to do, so like you, I think the only remaining option is really to have two separate apps.  As you say, not the best way, would be better if there were facilities to have separate packages in one app, but that is all we are left with.

....Stefan

Monday, May 21, 2012 9:07 PM