none
COM Client cannot access multiple interfaces from .NET Assembly RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a question and I am not sure if it is my implementation problem, or if it is a non-obvious limitation of COM clients accessing .NET servers. 

Let's say I have a .NET class called Widget that implements the ComSourceInterface IWidget_Events, the Interface IWidget_Methods and IWidget_Properties, declared in the following manner:

[ComSourceInterface(typeof(IWidget_Events))]

[ComClassInterface(InterfaceType.None)]

[Guid("your-guid-here")]

[ComVisible(true)]

public class Widget : IWidget_Methods, IWidget_Properties

{ //class implementation }

The problem is that, after building, registering the .NET assembly in the GAC and the type library, in the VB6 client

I cannot access any methods from the interface declared second, IWidget_Properties, and I get the error (in VB)

Runtime Error 438 - Object Doesn't Support This Property or Method.

Yet, in the class definition, when I reverse the order of the interfaces implemented, I can access the methods from IWidget_Properties.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I have to have every single property in one interface for the time being, but this is a

real ugly way to get the job done.

FWIW - in OLEView, I noticed that the interface I can access is tagged as default, and the one I cannot access is tagged as dispinterface.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post. If I understood it right, you want to handle some widget events with a .NET class, and the .NET class implements several interfaces of the widget. I am not sure about what the [ComClassInterface(InterfaceType.None)] means. I found no information about the ComClassInterfaceAttribute so far. Could it be the cause? Could you provide some additional information?

Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    • Edited by SamAgain Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:59 AM refine
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Friday, August 6, 2010 5:22 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post. If I understood it right, you want to handle some widget events with a .NET class, and the .NET class implements several interfaces of the widget. I am not sure about what the [ComClassInterface(InterfaceType.None)] means. I found no information about the ComClassInterfaceAttribute so far. Could it be the cause? Could you provide some additional information?

Thanks,
    Sam
    • Edited by SamAgain Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:59 AM refine
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Friday, August 6, 2010 5:22 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:58 AM
  • We temporarily mark a reply, please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    Friday, August 6, 2010 5:22 AM