.NET 3.5 didn't install until after Essentials? Can anyone explain?

Question

• So, after I threw on Windows 8 I immediately went to install LIVE Essentials -- so I could start blogging about it. The install went fine, but when I went to actually launch the program, I got a prompt to turn on a Windows Feature: .NET 3.5

If I remember, pre-requisites like .NET used to be required before you installed a program -- not afterwards. Does this mean that theoretically you could install and use a subset of features of a program, and then unlock the rest by enabling the right features? Are libraries getting more modular?

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:57 AM

Answers

• In Win 8 DP there is a shim that watches for any use of the .Net 3.5 framework (eg launching an app that uses it).  The shim then checks to see if .net 3.5 is enabled or not, if not its automatically enabled where it will automatically download/install via Windows Update.  You can check this via Control Panel, Programs, Windows Feature are on or off and you'll see a list of enabled features ...  .net 3.5 being one of them.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 11:26 PM

All replies

• In Win 8 DP there is a shim that watches for any use of the .Net 3.5 framework (eg launching an app that uses it).  The shim then checks to see if .net 3.5 is enabled or not, if not its automatically enabled where it will automatically download/install via Windows Update.  You can check this via Control Panel, Programs, Windows Feature are on or off and you'll see a list of enabled features ...  .net 3.5 being one of them.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 11:26 PM
  • But when we try to install it, we get "failed to install" (on x64 Win 8 Server; both physical & virtual).
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:31 PM
  • But when we try to install it, we get "failed to install" (on x64 Win 8 Server; both physical & virtual).

You have to make sure to enable Internet connection.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:41 PM
  • It downloads, but does not install.  Even when downloading separately & then installing - same "failed to install".
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:46 PM